Oct 28, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
That’s Nashville Predators G Pekka Rinne robbing Vincent Lecavalier in the second period of Nashville’s 5-3 win over the Bolts last night. For the record, I’m not even sure robbery is the correct charge here. Seems a little more heinous than robbery. Felonious larceny, maybe.
This is not the first time Rinne’s pulled an out-of-this-world save. In the second round of last year’s playoffs, Rinne stoned Vancouver’s Kevin Bieksa in overtime of Game 1:
So he’s compiled himself a nice little video resume to woo NHL GMs with this summer. See, Rinne’s in the final year of a deal that’s paying him $4 million (in salary; his annual cap hit is $3.4 mil) and, theoretically, he should be in line for a raise.
In terms of straight salary, 13 netminders are making more than Rinne this year — that list includes Rick DiPietro and, most amusingly, Cristobal Huet. Based on the fact Rinne finished second in Vezina and fourth in Hart Trophy voting last year, he should get paid like a top-five guy.
For the record, the current top five in terms of salary are:
Ilya Bryzgalov, Philadelphia ($10 million)
Henrik Lundqvist, New York ($6.9 million)
Roberto Luongo, Vancouver ($6.7 million)
Cam Ward, Carolina ($6.3 million)
Ryan Miller, Buffalo ($6.3 million)
Of course, Rinne’s emergence as an elite goalie came at a bad time. For one, he plays in Nashville, where the purse strings aren’t just tight — they’re tied into a constrictor knot. There’s also the issue of hitting free agency at a time when teams that have available cap space and a goaltending need are far and few between.
But hey, nice save on Lecavalier.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)