Oct 28, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
That’s Nashville Predators G Pekka Rinne robbing Vincent Lecavalier in the second period of Nashville’s 5-3 win over the Bolts last night. For the record, I’m not even sure robbery is the correct charge here. Seems a little more heinous than robbery. Felonious larceny, maybe.
This is not the first time Rinne’s pulled an out-of-this-world save. In the second round of last year’s playoffs, Rinne stoned Vancouver’s Kevin Bieksa in overtime of Game 1:
So he’s compiled himself a nice little video resume to woo NHL GMs with this summer. See, Rinne’s in the final year of a deal that’s paying him $4 million (in salary; his annual cap hit is $3.4 mil) and, theoretically, he should be in line for a raise.
In terms of straight salary, 13 netminders are making more than Rinne this year — that list includes Rick DiPietro and, most amusingly, Cristobal Huet. Based on the fact Rinne finished second in Vezina and fourth in Hart Trophy voting last year, he should get paid like a top-five guy.
For the record, the current top five in terms of salary are:
Ilya Bryzgalov, Philadelphia ($10 million)
Henrik Lundqvist, New York ($6.9 million)
Roberto Luongo, Vancouver ($6.7 million)
Cam Ward, Carolina ($6.3 million)
Ryan Miller, Buffalo ($6.3 million)
Of course, Rinne’s emergence as an elite goalie came at a bad time. For one, he plays in Nashville, where the purse strings aren’t just tight — they’re tied into a constrictor knot. There’s also the issue of hitting free agency at a time when teams that have available cap space and a goaltending need are far and few between.
But hey, nice save on Lecavalier.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)