Oct 28, 2011, 2:32 PM EST
That’s Nashville Predators G Pekka Rinne robbing Vincent Lecavalier in the second period of Nashville’s 5-3 win over the Bolts last night. For the record, I’m not even sure robbery is the correct charge here. Seems a little more heinous than robbery. Felonious larceny, maybe.
This is not the first time Rinne’s pulled an out-of-this-world save. In the second round of last year’s playoffs, Rinne stoned Vancouver’s Kevin Bieksa in overtime of Game 1:
So he’s compiled himself a nice little video resume to woo NHL GMs with this summer. See, Rinne’s in the final year of a deal that’s paying him $4 million (in salary; his annual cap hit is $3.4 mil) and, theoretically, he should be in line for a raise.
In terms of straight salary, 13 netminders are making more than Rinne this year — that list includes Rick DiPietro and, most amusingly, Cristobal Huet. Based on the fact Rinne finished second in Vezina and fourth in Hart Trophy voting last year, he should get paid like a top-five guy.
For the record, the current top five in terms of salary are:
Ilya Bryzgalov, Philadelphia ($10 million)
Henrik Lundqvist, New York ($6.9 million)
Roberto Luongo, Vancouver ($6.7 million)
Cam Ward, Carolina ($6.3 million)
Ryan Miller, Buffalo ($6.3 million)
Of course, Rinne’s emergence as an elite goalie came at a bad time. For one, he plays in Nashville, where the purse strings aren’t just tight — they’re tied into a constrictor knot. There’s also the issue of hitting free agency at a time when teams that have available cap space and a goaltending need are far and few between.
But hey, nice save on Lecavalier.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (71)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)