Oct 28, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
Coming into this season, no one had any idea what to expect out of Nikolai Khabibulin. He’s 38 years-old, coming off an injury-filled season, and spent part of the summer in Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s Tent City prison. If anything, expecting a lot out of Khabibulin was probably expecting too much.
Instead, he’s leading the league. He’s got the best save percentage and goals against average in the league beating out headline-stealing Kings stud Jonathan Quick. To top it all off, the Oilers are winning games with a crew of super young kids, common veterans, and nobodies on defense.
To get any wins at all, Khabibulin’s needed to be brilliant – and he has been. Last night’s 2-1 win over the Capitals to make them no longer undefeated showed Khabibulin’s moxie and skills, something not truly seen since his Stanley Cup-winning days in Tampa Bay.
Will it continue though? It’s hard to believe that it will. Keeping a .964 save percentage for the year is virtually unsustainable and the law of statistics means that a regression to the mean is coming eventually either through returning to average play or just being 38 and having age catch up to him.
For now, Khabibulin is bringing the Oilers something they desperately needed: Confidence. Ride that wave til it crashes you out, Edmonton.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 6
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 16
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Pittsburgh releases Daniel Carcillo from tryout (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)