Oct 28, 2011, 8:46 PM EST
After going pointless in his first four NHL games, Los Angeles Kings blueliner Viatcheslav (Slava) Voynov made a statement in a 5-3 win against the Dallas Stars. The 21-year-old Russian defenseman scored two goals and added an assist while hammering five heavy shots on Kari Lehtonen.
Despite that impressive performance, it felt like Voynov was essentially saying goodbye; the thought was that there’s not enough room for him on a deep Kings defense once multimillionaire Drew Doughty enters the equation again. LA Kings Insider Rich Hammond confirmed that gut reaction; Voynov was demoted to the Manchester Monarchs to make room for Doughty today.
It’s quite possible that the Kings are the only team in the NHL who could barely bat an eye after demoting a guy who just produced a three-point game. As strange as it might sound, it makes perfect sense. Voynov surprisingly averaged more than 20 minutes per night, but he’d be certain to see a dramatic drop in ice time if he remained in the mix.
What sounds like good news for Kings fans and bad news for Voynov should actually be a win-win situation in the big picture. The biggest “win” is that Doughty returns to the mix, but Voynov can continue to blossom/increase his trade value in a more prominent role in the minors.
That won’t feel better than breaking the ice with a three-point performance, but it will have to do.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)