Oct 28, 2011, 12:13 PM EDT
In news that won’t shock anyone, Gabriel Landeskog is staying with the Colorado Avalanche.
The 18-year-old forward could have been returned to junior after his ninth game in the NHL this season, but after scoring six points over that stretch, the Avs figured he should probably stick around, even though they’ll have to burn a year of his entry-level contract. And as Adrian Dater of the Denver Post points out, Landeskog’s cap hit helps keep the club over the CBA-mandated floor.
Landeskog has some size to him, so competing physically hasn’t been an issue. His plus-2 rating also suggests he hasn’t been a defensive liability. No, I don’t know if the coaching staff has been protecting him when it comes to match-ups, and I don’t really care. I’ll just take Avs defenseman Shane O’Brien’s word that Landeskog is a pretty good player.
“He’s unbelievable,” O’Brien told reporters. “I told one of my buddies he’s going to be the best forward in five years and it might not even take that long.”
Paul Stastny seems to think rather highly of Landeskog, too.
“It’s not just one thing that sticks out that makes him better than everybody else,” said Stastny. “It’s everything. He seems a complete player, whether it’s in the d-zone or the offensive zone, moving the puck, shooting the puck, blocking the puck, being physical… He does it all.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 0
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 8
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)