Oct 28, 2011, 12:13 PM EST
In news that won’t shock anyone, Gabriel Landeskog is staying with the Colorado Avalanche.
The 18-year-old forward could have been returned to junior after his ninth game in the NHL this season, but after scoring six points over that stretch, the Avs figured he should probably stick around, even though they’ll have to burn a year of his entry-level contract. And as Adrian Dater of the Denver Post points out, Landeskog’s cap hit helps keep the club over the CBA-mandated floor.
Landeskog has some size to him, so competing physically hasn’t been an issue. His plus-2 rating also suggests he hasn’t been a defensive liability. No, I don’t know if the coaching staff has been protecting him when it comes to match-ups, and I don’t really care. I’ll just take Avs defenseman Shane O’Brien’s word that Landeskog is a pretty good player.
“He’s unbelievable,” O’Brien told reporters. “I told one of my buddies he’s going to be the best forward in five years and it might not even take that long.”
Paul Stastny seems to think rather highly of Landeskog, too.
“It’s not just one thing that sticks out that makes him better than everybody else,” said Stastny. “It’s everything. He seems a complete player, whether it’s in the d-zone or the offensive zone, moving the puck, shooting the puck, blocking the puck, being physical… He does it all.”
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)