Oct 28, 2011, 11:53 AM EDT
Ever since the Sharks parted ways with Evgeni Nabokov, we’ve been anxious to see what a rematch against his old team would look like. With the Islanders facing off with San Jose tomorrow night, that time was upon us.
It would be that time, of course, until Nabokov pulled up lame and exhausted against Pittsburgh giving way to Rick DiPietro to get beaten in the shootout. Now Nabokov is dealing with said exhaustion and a potential lower body injury that may keep him out of Saturday’s game.
Losing Nabokov is a shame for the Isles because he was starting to show his old, dominating form that he had as a Shark. Fortunately the Islanders have three goalies they can bank on with Nabokov, DiPietro, and Al Montoya. With Nabokov likely out of the way for Saturday, DiPietro seems the likely candidate to get the call against San Jose.
After so many playoff let downs for the Sharks, there’s no doubt guys like Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau would’ve loved to get their shots in on Nabokov. At least the Islanders should still have that “money on the board” to shoot for. It’s about the little things.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)