Oct 28, 2011, 11:53 AM EST
Ever since the Sharks parted ways with Evgeni Nabokov, we’ve been anxious to see what a rematch against his old team would look like. With the Islanders facing off with San Jose tomorrow night, that time was upon us.
It would be that time, of course, until Nabokov pulled up lame and exhausted against Pittsburgh giving way to Rick DiPietro to get beaten in the shootout. Now Nabokov is dealing with said exhaustion and a potential lower body injury that may keep him out of Saturday’s game.
Losing Nabokov is a shame for the Isles because he was starting to show his old, dominating form that he had as a Shark. Fortunately the Islanders have three goalies they can bank on with Nabokov, DiPietro, and Al Montoya. With Nabokov likely out of the way for Saturday, DiPietro seems the likely candidate to get the call against San Jose.
After so many playoff let downs for the Sharks, there’s no doubt guys like Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau would’ve loved to get their shots in on Nabokov. At least the Islanders should still have that “money on the board” to shoot for. It’s about the little things.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 71
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)