Oct 28, 2011, 11:53 AM EDT
Ever since the Sharks parted ways with Evgeni Nabokov, we’ve been anxious to see what a rematch against his old team would look like. With the Islanders facing off with San Jose tomorrow night, that time was upon us.
It would be that time, of course, until Nabokov pulled up lame and exhausted against Pittsburgh giving way to Rick DiPietro to get beaten in the shootout. Now Nabokov is dealing with said exhaustion and a potential lower body injury that may keep him out of Saturday’s game.
Losing Nabokov is a shame for the Isles because he was starting to show his old, dominating form that he had as a Shark. Fortunately the Islanders have three goalies they can bank on with Nabokov, DiPietro, and Al Montoya. With Nabokov likely out of the way for Saturday, DiPietro seems the likely candidate to get the call against San Jose.
After so many playoff let downs for the Sharks, there’s no doubt guys like Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau would’ve loved to get their shots in on Nabokov. At least the Islanders should still have that “money on the board” to shoot for. It’s about the little things.
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 2
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 37
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (135)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)