Oct 28, 2011, 11:53 AM EST
Ever since the Sharks parted ways with Evgeni Nabokov, we’ve been anxious to see what a rematch against his old team would look like. With the Islanders facing off with San Jose tomorrow night, that time was upon us.
It would be that time, of course, until Nabokov pulled up lame and exhausted against Pittsburgh giving way to Rick DiPietro to get beaten in the shootout. Now Nabokov is dealing with said exhaustion and a potential lower body injury that may keep him out of Saturday’s game.
Losing Nabokov is a shame for the Isles because he was starting to show his old, dominating form that he had as a Shark. Fortunately the Islanders have three goalies they can bank on with Nabokov, DiPietro, and Al Montoya. With Nabokov likely out of the way for Saturday, DiPietro seems the likely candidate to get the call against San Jose.
After so many playoff let downs for the Sharks, there’s no doubt guys like Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau would’ve loved to get their shots in on Nabokov. At least the Islanders should still have that “money on the board” to shoot for. It’s about the little things.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)