Oct 28, 2011, 11:53 AM EDT
Ever since the Sharks parted ways with Evgeni Nabokov, we’ve been anxious to see what a rematch against his old team would look like. With the Islanders facing off with San Jose tomorrow night, that time was upon us.
It would be that time, of course, until Nabokov pulled up lame and exhausted against Pittsburgh giving way to Rick DiPietro to get beaten in the shootout. Now Nabokov is dealing with said exhaustion and a potential lower body injury that may keep him out of Saturday’s game.
Losing Nabokov is a shame for the Isles because he was starting to show his old, dominating form that he had as a Shark. Fortunately the Islanders have three goalies they can bank on with Nabokov, DiPietro, and Al Montoya. With Nabokov likely out of the way for Saturday, DiPietro seems the likely candidate to get the call against San Jose.
After so many playoff let downs for the Sharks, there’s no doubt guys like Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau would’ve loved to get their shots in on Nabokov. At least the Islanders should still have that “money on the board” to shoot for. It’s about the little things.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 20
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 44
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 121
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 79
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7