Oct 28, 2011, 4:35 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov didn’t load up the car and make a run for Mexico last night. Quite the opposite, in fact.
According to Flyers goalie coach Jeff Reese, Bryzgalov turned his frown upside down and swaggered into the team’s practice facility this morning.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio spoke with Reese about the big-money goalie’s early struggles, which were taken to a whole new level last night against the Jets.
Reese’s theory is that Bryzgalov has been overly distracted by all the attention he’s received since signing with the Flyers.
“I know he’s a great quote, he’s a great personality…but at the same time he needs to focus on his job,” Reese said.
“Instead of just worrying about going out and stopping the puck, he’s got himself involved in some other things with the press and Twitter and things like that and he has to simply go out and stop the puck.”
Twitter — the scourge of today’s professional athlete.
Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette has already said Bryzgalov will play Saturday against Carolina at the Wells Fargo Center.
Sink or swim.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)