Oct 28, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins are the defending Stanley Cup champions. However, they’re also 3-6-0 and tied for 29th in the NHL standings.
And while you’d think B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli would show some patience with a team that’s coming off a short summer and likely struggling to get motivated for the relative banality of the regular season, you’d be wrong. Chiarelli has been “making his calls to other GMs,” according to Kevin Dupont of the Boston Globe.
We’ll assume those calls aren’t being made to say hi.
Clearly the Bruins’ most pressing need is goal-scoring. Their power play is still abysmal, and since they’re not outscoring their opponents five-on-five at the ridiculous rate they did last year, their per-game goal production has dropped from 2.98 in 2010-11 to 2.11.
The Bruins have the cap space to make a sizeable deal. The question for Chiarelli is, who’s available? Thus, the phone calls to other GMs. You never know – maybe there’s another David Booth out there.
One name that Dupont mentions is Kyle Turris, who’s currently engaged in a nasty contract dispute with the Phoenix Coyotes. But if you believe Phoenix GM Dan Maloney, Turris won’t be playing for anyone this season except the Coyotes.
Buffalo’s Brad Boyes has been playing a bit better in Buffalo and the Sabres might not mind getting his contract off the books, though I’m not sure the two Northeast rivals would do a deal. Ditto for getting Andrei Kostitsyn out of Montreal.
Any other ideas? Let’s do some baseless rumor-mongering.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)