Oct 28, 2011, 3:50 PM EST
The Boston Bruins are the defending Stanley Cup champions. However, they’re also 3-6-0 and tied for 29th in the NHL standings.
And while you’d think B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli would show some patience with a team that’s coming off a short summer and likely struggling to get motivated for the relative banality of the regular season, you’d be wrong. Chiarelli has been “making his calls to other GMs,” according to Kevin Dupont of the Boston Globe.
We’ll assume those calls aren’t being made to say hi.
Clearly the Bruins’ most pressing need is goal-scoring. Their power play is still abysmal, and since they’re not outscoring their opponents five-on-five at the ridiculous rate they did last year, their per-game goal production has dropped from 2.98 in 2010-11 to 2.11.
The Bruins have the cap space to make a sizeable deal. The question for Chiarelli is, who’s available? Thus, the phone calls to other GMs. You never know – maybe there’s another David Booth out there.
One name that Dupont mentions is Kyle Turris, who’s currently engaged in a nasty contract dispute with the Phoenix Coyotes. But if you believe Phoenix GM Dan Maloney, Turris won’t be playing for anyone this season except the Coyotes.
Buffalo’s Brad Boyes has been playing a bit better in Buffalo and the Sabres might not mind getting his contract off the books, though I’m not sure the two Northeast rivals would do a deal. Ditto for getting Andrei Kostitsyn out of Montreal.
Any other ideas? Let’s do some baseless rumor-mongering.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 7
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2