Oct 28, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins are the defending Stanley Cup champions. However, they’re also 3-6-0 and tied for 29th in the NHL standings.
And while you’d think B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli would show some patience with a team that’s coming off a short summer and likely struggling to get motivated for the relative banality of the regular season, you’d be wrong. Chiarelli has been “making his calls to other GMs,” according to Kevin Dupont of the Boston Globe.
We’ll assume those calls aren’t being made to say hi.
Clearly the Bruins’ most pressing need is goal-scoring. Their power play is still abysmal, and since they’re not outscoring their opponents five-on-five at the ridiculous rate they did last year, their per-game goal production has dropped from 2.98 in 2010-11 to 2.11.
The Bruins have the cap space to make a sizeable deal. The question for Chiarelli is, who’s available? Thus, the phone calls to other GMs. You never know – maybe there’s another David Booth out there.
One name that Dupont mentions is Kyle Turris, who’s currently engaged in a nasty contract dispute with the Phoenix Coyotes. But if you believe Phoenix GM Dan Maloney, Turris won’t be playing for anyone this season except the Coyotes.
Buffalo’s Brad Boyes has been playing a bit better in Buffalo and the Sabres might not mind getting his contract off the books, though I’m not sure the two Northeast rivals would do a deal. Ditto for getting Andrei Kostitsyn out of Montreal.
Any other ideas? Let’s do some baseless rumor-mongering.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 12
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 16
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)