Oct 28, 2011, 3:50 PM EST
The Boston Bruins are the defending Stanley Cup champions. However, they’re also 3-6-0 and tied for 29th in the NHL standings.
And while you’d think B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli would show some patience with a team that’s coming off a short summer and likely struggling to get motivated for the relative banality of the regular season, you’d be wrong. Chiarelli has been “making his calls to other GMs,” according to Kevin Dupont of the Boston Globe.
We’ll assume those calls aren’t being made to say hi.
Clearly the Bruins’ most pressing need is goal-scoring. Their power play is still abysmal, and since they’re not outscoring their opponents five-on-five at the ridiculous rate they did last year, their per-game goal production has dropped from 2.98 in 2010-11 to 2.11.
The Bruins have the cap space to make a sizeable deal. The question for Chiarelli is, who’s available? Thus, the phone calls to other GMs. You never know – maybe there’s another David Booth out there.
One name that Dupont mentions is Kyle Turris, who’s currently engaged in a nasty contract dispute with the Phoenix Coyotes. But if you believe Phoenix GM Dan Maloney, Turris won’t be playing for anyone this season except the Coyotes.
Buffalo’s Brad Boyes has been playing a bit better in Buffalo and the Sabres might not mind getting his contract off the books, though I’m not sure the two Northeast rivals would do a deal. Ditto for getting Andrei Kostitsyn out of Montreal.
Any other ideas? Let’s do some baseless rumor-mongering.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)