Oct 28, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins are the defending Stanley Cup champions. However, they’re also 3-6-0 and tied for 29th in the NHL standings.
And while you’d think B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli would show some patience with a team that’s coming off a short summer and likely struggling to get motivated for the relative banality of the regular season, you’d be wrong. Chiarelli has been “making his calls to other GMs,” according to Kevin Dupont of the Boston Globe.
We’ll assume those calls aren’t being made to say hi.
Clearly the Bruins’ most pressing need is goal-scoring. Their power play is still abysmal, and since they’re not outscoring their opponents five-on-five at the ridiculous rate they did last year, their per-game goal production has dropped from 2.98 in 2010-11 to 2.11.
The Bruins have the cap space to make a sizeable deal. The question for Chiarelli is, who’s available? Thus, the phone calls to other GMs. You never know – maybe there’s another David Booth out there.
One name that Dupont mentions is Kyle Turris, who’s currently engaged in a nasty contract dispute with the Phoenix Coyotes. But if you believe Phoenix GM Dan Maloney, Turris won’t be playing for anyone this season except the Coyotes.
Buffalo’s Brad Boyes has been playing a bit better in Buffalo and the Sabres might not mind getting his contract off the books, though I’m not sure the two Northeast rivals would do a deal. Ditto for getting Andrei Kostitsyn out of Montreal.
Any other ideas? Let’s do some baseless rumor-mongering.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 5
- In praise of John Tavares 13
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36