Oct 27, 2011, 4:11 PM EDT
Thousands of hockey fans will be in attendance tonight at the partly transformed Madison Square Garden as the New York Rangers host the Toronto Maple Leafs. The game will also feature the debut of what they’re calling the FanCam, though they might as well call it the end of civil liberties as we know it.
From the Rangers website:
What is the FanCam? This high definition image will capture Madison Square Garden in its entirety, and fans will be able to “step inside” the 360 degree gigapixel image and look around during this frozen moment of time. The resolution of 20 billion pixels is so high that fans will be able to zoom in to find themselves or their friends, “tag” themselves in the photo, and share via email, Facebook, and Twitter. Fans can even cruise around Madison Square Garden to see who else was present at the game.
By tagging yourself, you will be entered to win two tickets to a Rangers 2011-2012 home game of your choice.
So not only is Big Brother taking high-resolution photos of the MSG crowd, it’s offering Rangers fans the chance to win free tickets if they’d be so kind as to enter their personal information into its gigantic secret database.
OK, so maybe it’s not as nefarious as I’m making it out to be. They actually had something like this in downtown Vancouver during the Cup finals before – let’s call it the “unpleasantness” – that followed Game 7.
Here’s the wide angle:
Those numbers you see are people that have tagged themselves.
Now you just zoom in on the image and…
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 10
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 64
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL