Oct 27, 2011, 4:11 PM EDT
Thousands of hockey fans will be in attendance tonight at the partly transformed Madison Square Garden as the New York Rangers host the Toronto Maple Leafs. The game will also feature the debut of what they’re calling the FanCam, though they might as well call it the end of civil liberties as we know it.
From the Rangers website:
What is the FanCam? This high definition image will capture Madison Square Garden in its entirety, and fans will be able to “step inside” the 360 degree gigapixel image and look around during this frozen moment of time. The resolution of 20 billion pixels is so high that fans will be able to zoom in to find themselves or their friends, “tag” themselves in the photo, and share via email, Facebook, and Twitter. Fans can even cruise around Madison Square Garden to see who else was present at the game.
By tagging yourself, you will be entered to win two tickets to a Rangers 2011-2012 home game of your choice.
So not only is Big Brother taking high-resolution photos of the MSG crowd, it’s offering Rangers fans the chance to win free tickets if they’d be so kind as to enter their personal information into its gigantic secret database.
OK, so maybe it’s not as nefarious as I’m making it out to be. They actually had something like this in downtown Vancouver during the Cup finals before – let’s call it the “unpleasantness” – that followed Game 7.
Here’s the wide angle:
Those numbers you see are people that have tagged themselves.
Now you just zoom in on the image and…
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 9
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)