Oct 27, 2011, 1:53 PM EST
Based on what Shero had to say, there’s major reason for optimism.
The interview was noteworthy for two particular things: One, Shero confirmed Crosby’s absorbed contact in practice with no ill-effects. Two, there’s an inkling the organization would like him to make his season debut at the Consol Energy Center.
Here are Shero’s quotes in full:
On Crosby receiving contact: “He’s had contact in practice. He’s taken a stick in the chin, he ran into Kris Letang and unfortunately No. 58 took the worst of it. He’s had tough battles down low in a lot of our practices.”
If Crosby will play Saturday in Toronto: “No. I’d like him to play at home first probably. Does it matter though, really? He’s going to want to play — the thing with Sidney is he really wants to play and if I tell him ‘listen, we want to hold you out until the following Friday because we have a home game,’ he’s going to look at me like ‘huh?’”
Looking at the Penguins’ upcoming schedule, they play at home tonight against the Islanders before heading out on a three-game trip to Toronto (Oct. 29), San Jose (Nov. 3) and Los Angeles (Nov. 5). The Pens then get six days off before the “following Friday” game Shero alluded to — a Nov. 11 home date against Dallas, which everyone is now probably circling on their calendars.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)