Oct 27, 2011, 1:53 PM EDT
Based on what Shero had to say, there’s major reason for optimism.
The interview was noteworthy for two particular things: One, Shero confirmed Crosby’s absorbed contact in practice with no ill-effects. Two, there’s an inkling the organization would like him to make his season debut at the Consol Energy Center.
Here are Shero’s quotes in full:
On Crosby receiving contact: “He’s had contact in practice. He’s taken a stick in the chin, he ran into Kris Letang and unfortunately No. 58 took the worst of it. He’s had tough battles down low in a lot of our practices.”
If Crosby will play Saturday in Toronto: “No. I’d like him to play at home first probably. Does it matter though, really? He’s going to want to play — the thing with Sidney is he really wants to play and if I tell him ‘listen, we want to hold you out until the following Friday because we have a home game,’ he’s going to look at me like ‘huh?'”
Looking at the Penguins’ upcoming schedule, they play at home tonight against the Islanders before heading out on a three-game trip to Toronto (Oct. 29), San Jose (Nov. 3) and Los Angeles (Nov. 5). The Pens then get six days off before the “following Friday” game Shero alluded to — a Nov. 11 home date against Dallas, which everyone is now probably circling on their calendars.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 34
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 97
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 87
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (97)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)