Oct 27, 2011, 1:53 PM EDT
Based on what Shero had to say, there’s major reason for optimism.
The interview was noteworthy for two particular things: One, Shero confirmed Crosby’s absorbed contact in practice with no ill-effects. Two, there’s an inkling the organization would like him to make his season debut at the Consol Energy Center.
Here are Shero’s quotes in full:
On Crosby receiving contact: “He’s had contact in practice. He’s taken a stick in the chin, he ran into Kris Letang and unfortunately No. 58 took the worst of it. He’s had tough battles down low in a lot of our practices.”
If Crosby will play Saturday in Toronto: “No. I’d like him to play at home first probably. Does it matter though, really? He’s going to want to play — the thing with Sidney is he really wants to play and if I tell him ‘listen, we want to hold you out until the following Friday because we have a home game,’ he’s going to look at me like ‘huh?'”
Looking at the Penguins’ upcoming schedule, they play at home tonight against the Islanders before heading out on a three-game trip to Toronto (Oct. 29), San Jose (Nov. 3) and Los Angeles (Nov. 5). The Pens then get six days off before the “following Friday” game Shero alluded to — a Nov. 11 home date against Dallas, which everyone is now probably circling on their calendars.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 6
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)