Oct 27, 2011, 9:44 PM EDT
You just had a feeling that there would be fireworks flying when the Bruins and Canadiens renewed pleasantries this evening at TD Garden in Boston. The Boston media openly wondered if the Habs/Bruins rivalry is the best in the city this afternoon and the teams didn’t disappoint. After trying to fight for the better part of the second period, Brad Marchand and PK Subban dropped the gloves, helmets, and elbow pads as they met at center ice to punch each other in the face. The winner of the fight is up for debate; but the Habs got the last laugh as they went into Boston and escaped with a 2-1 victory for their second straight win on consecutive nights.
This is what happens when guys try to fight on TWO separate occasions only to be separated by the linesmen. When they finally got to fight, they made sure to get their money’s worth.
This isn’t the first time that Subban and Marchand have come together in a Habs/Bruins game. You may remember, last year PK Subban absolutely destroyed Marchand with an open ice body check that may have been the best hit of the 2010-11 season. A quick refresher:
I know there are people that say they don’t like fighting hockey—but it didn’t look like anyone was heading for the exits when Marchand and Subban were throwing down…
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 6
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 7
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18