Oct 27, 2011, 9:44 PM EST
You just had a feeling that there would be fireworks flying when the Bruins and Canadiens renewed pleasantries this evening at TD Garden in Boston. The Boston media openly wondered if the Habs/Bruins rivalry is the best in the city this afternoon and the teams didn’t disappoint. After trying to fight for the better part of the second period, Brad Marchand and PK Subban dropped the gloves, helmets, and elbow pads as they met at center ice to punch each other in the face. The winner of the fight is up for debate; but the Habs got the last laugh as they went into Boston and escaped with a 2-1 victory for their second straight win on consecutive nights.
This is what happens when guys try to fight on TWO separate occasions only to be separated by the linesmen. When they finally got to fight, they made sure to get their money’s worth.
This isn’t the first time that Subban and Marchand have come together in a Habs/Bruins game. You may remember, last year PK Subban absolutely destroyed Marchand with an open ice body check that may have been the best hit of the 2010-11 season. A quick refresher:
I know there are people that say they don’t like fighting hockey—but it didn’t look like anyone was heading for the exits when Marchand and Subban were throwing down…
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4