Oct 27, 2011, 11:11 AM EDT
It’s looking like the Legion of Doom won’t be riding again in the Winter Classic alumni game.
While we all got super geeked up hearing about how Eric Lindros would be playing in the Winter Classic event and was itching to get the band back together to break out the “Legion of Doom” one more time, Mikael Renberg is looking like he won’t be able to make it.
CSNPhilly.com’s Sarah Baicker reports that while Chris Therien will be joining in on the festivities, Flyers contributing writer Bill Meltzer finds out that Renberg will have TV duties covering the World Junior Championships in Edmonton in Calgary instead.
Well if that doesn’t just deflate your tires a little bit I don’t know what will.
The nostalgic turn of events that was going to bring out the kid in all of us who remembered seeing Lindros, Renberg, and John LeClair terrorize the NHL with their physical force and scoring prowess was making the alumni game a must-see event. Now it’s going to be toned down just a little bit.
Seeing an iconic line reassembled the way it was going to be for the alumni game would’ve made it a huge thrill, but Renberg having to do TV work and sticking to his commitment is one of the things that makes hockey players who they are. They have a job and they do it. In this case, we’ll miss out on something that would’ve been really cool to see one more time.
(Photo: Philadelphia Flyers)
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 4
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 11
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21