Oct 27, 2011, 11:11 AM EDT
It’s looking like the Legion of Doom won’t be riding again in the Winter Classic alumni game.
While we all got super geeked up hearing about how Eric Lindros would be playing in the Winter Classic event and was itching to get the band back together to break out the “Legion of Doom” one more time, Mikael Renberg is looking like he won’t be able to make it.
CSNPhilly.com’s Sarah Baicker reports that while Chris Therien will be joining in on the festivities, Flyers contributing writer Bill Meltzer finds out that Renberg will have TV duties covering the World Junior Championships in Edmonton in Calgary instead.
Well if that doesn’t just deflate your tires a little bit I don’t know what will.
The nostalgic turn of events that was going to bring out the kid in all of us who remembered seeing Lindros, Renberg, and John LeClair terrorize the NHL with their physical force and scoring prowess was making the alumni game a must-see event. Now it’s going to be toned down just a little bit.
Seeing an iconic line reassembled the way it was going to be for the alumni game would’ve made it a huge thrill, but Renberg having to do TV work and sticking to his commitment is one of the things that makes hockey players who they are. They have a job and they do it. In this case, we’ll miss out on something that would’ve been really cool to see one more time.
(Photo: Philadelphia Flyers)
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control