Oct 27, 2011, 6:53 PM EST
There’s a story circulating around the interwebs this afternoon about a Manitoba Junior Hockey League coach who has been suspended as his team allegedly hazed a 15-year-old teammate. While it’s a sad reality that hazing occurs in just about every sport all over North America, the CBC is reporting that the boys on the Neepawa Natives took it to a whole new level.
The CBC article is something you should check out the piece in its entirety. Straight from the source: “The parents of a 15-year-old player told CBC News on Wednesday that their son was forced to dance in the team’s dressing room, then drag around water bottles that were tied to his genitals.”
People can debate the merits and importance of hazing within team-building, but there’s no way this type of behavior can be condoned. The worst part is that some parents are saying that the coach was in the locker room while all of this was going on.
It’s a modern-day example of a problem that has been around sports for decades. So let’s throw this out to the PHT readers. What do you think? We can all agree that this alleged situation goes way too far—but does hazing have a place in sports? Players deal with it, coaches look the other way, and parents fear it.
What say you fair readers?
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)