Oct 27, 2011, 1:07 PM EDT
Some confusion coming out of the Toronto Maple Leafs dressing room today as the team prepares to face the Rangers at MSG. According to various Twitter accounts, backup netminder Jonas Gustavsson — who will make his second straight start tonight — let it slip that starting goalie James Reimer has a concussion.
Here’s a tweet from Michael Traikos of the National Post:
The Leafs have been tight-lipped about exactly what’s ailing Reimer, out since colliding with Montreal’s Brian Gionta on Oct. 22. The original diagnosis was vague, suggesting it was a minor issue that wouldn’t keep Reimer out long — yet there were no specifics as to what the injury actually was. Theories bandied about included:
Then Dr. Gustavsson came forth with his medical opinion. Shortly after he did, Leafs coach Ron Wilson jumped to refute everything he said, re-iterating he doesn’t think Reimer has a concussion and saying Gustavsson’s assumptions were wrong.
But that didn’t exactly extinguish the fire. In addition to the Gustavsson comments, Toronto didn’t allow the media to speak with Reimer today. This after he was made available at length yesterday, prompting TSN’s Darren Dreger to tweet the following:
Remember, it’s still possible that Reimer doesn’t actually have a concussion. But after today’s ham-fisted display, it sounds like he’s spending his days locked in a dark room wearing sunglasses.
In closing, I’m guessing the Leafs brass is giving Gustavsson the Brian Fantana talk right about now. “Take it easy, Champ. Why don’t you stop talking for a while.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)