Oct 27, 2011, 1:07 PM EST
Some confusion coming out of the Toronto Maple Leafs dressing room today as the team prepares to face the Rangers at MSG. According to various Twitter accounts, backup netminder Jonas Gustavsson — who will make his second straight start tonight — let it slip that starting goalie James Reimer has a concussion.
Here’s a tweet from Michael Traikos of the National Post:
The Leafs have been tight-lipped about exactly what’s ailing Reimer, out since colliding with Montreal’s Brian Gionta on Oct. 22. The original diagnosis was vague, suggesting it was a minor issue that wouldn’t keep Reimer out long — yet there were no specifics as to what the injury actually was. Theories bandied about included:
Then Dr. Gustavsson came forth with his medical opinion. Shortly after he did, Leafs coach Ron Wilson jumped to refute everything he said, re-iterating he doesn’t think Reimer has a concussion and saying Gustavsson’s assumptions were wrong.
But that didn’t exactly extinguish the fire. In addition to the Gustavsson comments, Toronto didn’t allow the media to speak with Reimer today. This after he was made available at length yesterday, prompting TSN’s Darren Dreger to tweet the following:
Remember, it’s still possible that Reimer doesn’t actually have a concussion. But after today’s ham-fisted display, it sounds like he’s spending his days locked in a dark room wearing sunglasses.
In closing, I’m guessing the Leafs brass is giving Gustavsson the Brian Fantana talk right about now. “Take it easy, Champ. Why don’t you stop talking for a while.”
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 1
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 5
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 24
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)