Oct 27, 2011, 1:07 PM EST
Some confusion coming out of the Toronto Maple Leafs dressing room today as the team prepares to face the Rangers at MSG. According to various Twitter accounts, backup netminder Jonas Gustavsson — who will make his second straight start tonight — let it slip that starting goalie James Reimer has a concussion.
Here’s a tweet from Michael Traikos of the National Post:
The Leafs have been tight-lipped about exactly what’s ailing Reimer, out since colliding with Montreal’s Brian Gionta on Oct. 22. The original diagnosis was vague, suggesting it was a minor issue that wouldn’t keep Reimer out long — yet there were no specifics as to what the injury actually was. Theories bandied about included:
Then Dr. Gustavsson came forth with his medical opinion. Shortly after he did, Leafs coach Ron Wilson jumped to refute everything he said, re-iterating he doesn’t think Reimer has a concussion and saying Gustavsson’s assumptions were wrong.
But that didn’t exactly extinguish the fire. In addition to the Gustavsson comments, Toronto didn’t allow the media to speak with Reimer today. This after he was made available at length yesterday, prompting TSN’s Darren Dreger to tweet the following:
Remember, it’s still possible that Reimer doesn’t actually have a concussion. But after today’s ham-fisted display, it sounds like he’s spending his days locked in a dark room wearing sunglasses.
In closing, I’m guessing the Leafs brass is giving Gustavsson the Brian Fantana talk right about now. “Take it easy, Champ. Why don’t you stop talking for a while.”
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 0
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 65
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)