Oct 27, 2011, 1:07 PM EST
Some confusion coming out of the Toronto Maple Leafs dressing room today as the team prepares to face the Rangers at MSG. According to various Twitter accounts, backup netminder Jonas Gustavsson — who will make his second straight start tonight — let it slip that starting goalie James Reimer has a concussion.
Here’s a tweet from Michael Traikos of the National Post:
The Leafs have been tight-lipped about exactly what’s ailing Reimer, out since colliding with Montreal’s Brian Gionta on Oct. 22. The original diagnosis was vague, suggesting it was a minor issue that wouldn’t keep Reimer out long — yet there were no specifics as to what the injury actually was. Theories bandied about included:
Then Dr. Gustavsson came forth with his medical opinion. Shortly after he did, Leafs coach Ron Wilson jumped to refute everything he said, re-iterating he doesn’t think Reimer has a concussion and saying Gustavsson’s assumptions were wrong.
But that didn’t exactly extinguish the fire. In addition to the Gustavsson comments, Toronto didn’t allow the media to speak with Reimer today. This after he was made available at length yesterday, prompting TSN’s Darren Dreger to tweet the following:
Remember, it’s still possible that Reimer doesn’t actually have a concussion. But after today’s ham-fisted display, it sounds like he’s spending his days locked in a dark room wearing sunglasses.
In closing, I’m guessing the Leafs brass is giving Gustavsson the Brian Fantana talk right about now. “Take it easy, Champ. Why don’t you stop talking for a while.”
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 16
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 28
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 53
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)