Oct 27, 2011, 1:07 PM EDT
Some confusion coming out of the Toronto Maple Leafs dressing room today as the team prepares to face the Rangers at MSG. According to various Twitter accounts, backup netminder Jonas Gustavsson — who will make his second straight start tonight — let it slip that starting goalie James Reimer has a concussion.
Here’s a tweet from Michael Traikos of the National Post:
The Leafs have been tight-lipped about exactly what’s ailing Reimer, out since colliding with Montreal’s Brian Gionta on Oct. 22. The original diagnosis was vague, suggesting it was a minor issue that wouldn’t keep Reimer out long — yet there were no specifics as to what the injury actually was. Theories bandied about included:
Then Dr. Gustavsson came forth with his medical opinion. Shortly after he did, Leafs coach Ron Wilson jumped to refute everything he said, re-iterating he doesn’t think Reimer has a concussion and saying Gustavsson’s assumptions were wrong.
But that didn’t exactly extinguish the fire. In addition to the Gustavsson comments, Toronto didn’t allow the media to speak with Reimer today. This after he was made available at length yesterday, prompting TSN’s Darren Dreger to tweet the following:
Remember, it’s still possible that Reimer doesn’t actually have a concussion. But after today’s ham-fisted display, it sounds like he’s spending his days locked in a dark room wearing sunglasses.
In closing, I’m guessing the Leafs brass is giving Gustavsson the Brian Fantana talk right about now. “Take it easy, Champ. Why don’t you stop talking for a while.”
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)