Oct 27, 2011, 10:53 PM EST
It was “Back to the Future” night in Philadelphia tonight as the Winnipeg Jets made their first trip to the City of Brotherly Love in 15 years. The old new team brought more than a nostalgic name to Wells Fargo Center—they brought 1980s hockey with them. Seventeen combined goals later and the Jets left with a crazy 9-8 victory.
After the game, the news wasn’t the great offense displayed by both teams. Instead, the high-priced offseason acquisition Ilya Bryzgalov had some rather critical things to say. About himself.
Here’s an exhaustive list of things that you wouldn’t want to hear your own goaltender say about himself after a game:
- “I can’t tell you anything right now. I’m lost in the woods right now.”
- “I couldn’t stop the simple shot. That’s probably why players make mistakes, because they have no confidence in their goalie.”
- “I can’t stop the puck. It’s very simple. You can’t ask more from the forwards. They scored 8 goals and we’re still losing.”
- “I’m terrible. I want to apologize to the fans and my teammates. I don’t know what’s going on. I have no answer.”
- “I have zero confidence in myself right now.”
Philadelphia, we have a problem.
The problem is that Bryzgalov’s struggles aren’t a new thing for the Flyers. After getting off to a fantastic start, Bryz has struggled mightily in his last four games. He topped it off tonight by giving up 4 goals on only 10 shots. Needless to say, the Flyers are going to need him to straighten things out if they want to compete for the Eastern Conference crown this season. When you score eight goals and still lose at home, things need to be fixed.
There is a little bit of karmic wonder surrounding the game tonight as well. Remember last season when Bryzgalov was waxing poetically about the lack of parks in Winnipeg? Then he’s lit up like a Christmas tree against the Jets the very next season?
There’s a joke in there somewhere.
- Devils fire coach DeBoer 3
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 0
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 6
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)