Oct 27, 2011, 11:42 AM EDT
If you’re a Leafs fan and you were excited to see James Reimer return to play goal tonight against the Rangers tonight, you might want to sit down. Reimer is not going to play tonight as he’s still dealing with his “whiplash-like” injury suffered over the weekend and Ben Scrivens has been called up yet again to take his place.
Jonas Gustavsson will get the start in goal yet again for the Leafs and the last time he played against the Rangers in New York City the Leafs lost 7-0. Here’s to hoping for the Leafs sake The Monster has a short memory.
The Leafs putting all their faith in Reimer after last season’s play was a smart move. He’s clearly the #1 guy in Toronto and the team has a much better chance to win with him in goal. Where they messed up, however, was in not finding a more suitable backup. Brian Burke obviously wanted to give Gustavsson the benefit of the doubt and use him sparingly as a backup, but with Reimer’s issues like this and being forced to bank on Gustavsson it means the Leafs are living on the edge.
The sad part for Toronto is that even if they are in the market for a more experienced (read: better) backup goalie, they’re not going to find one in free agency (Marty Turco, anyone?) and teams aren’t just going to give guys away in a trade. It’s The Monster or bust for now until Reimer is ready to go.
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 0
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 19
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles