Oct 27, 2011, 12:11 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have made their undefeated start to the season look pretty easy.
A little too easy.
As they head off to western Canada for a road trip, they’ll finally have to face up to some hardship as it appears that Mike Green isn’t going to be able to play against the Oilers tonight. After twisting up his right ankle in their 7-1 win over Detroit, Green hasn’t been able to practice or do much of anything with the injury.
It wasn’t going to be a worry-free season for the Capitals (or any team in the league) as it was, and having Green come up gimpy here is a bit of a shot for the Caps. Green broke out in a big way against Detroit with four points so his offense was on the way back from a quiet start.
Now it’ll be up to Dennis Wideman to pick up his slack there while Roman Hamrlik will have to play with a new partner. With the Oilers having speed to burn and enough skill to cause problems, Tomas Vokoun might just have a bit more work to do to keep the Caps undefeated.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)