Oct 27, 2011, 9:58 AM EDT
Remember when the Blues traded for Jaroslav Halak and expected him to be the guy to lead them back to the playoffs and beyond?
Ah, those were the days.
This season, it’s been a different story with Brian Elliott playing out of his mind, including a shutout of Vancouver last night, while Halak has struggled mightily. A bad sign of things to come this year for the usual Blues starter? Should he be freaking out about things the way fans in Vancouver are about Roberto Luongo? No way.
Halak is, instead, taking everything in stride and giving it a more zen-like approach believing that this too shall pass in time and things will get turned around for him. Perhaps with fans’ attention in St. Louis being directed elsewhere at the start of the season thanks to the Cardinals being in the World Series and the fact that Vancouver is a cutthroat hockey town while St. Louis is a bit more laid back.
It probably doesn’t hurt any that St. Louis isn’t coming off a Stanley Cup finals seven-game series loss either. For now, Brian Elliott is stealing the show, but if Halak doesn’t get things turned around, the Blues’ run isn’t going to last very long.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)