Oct 27, 2011, 1:41 PM EDT
Wild fans have been yelling about getting a Winter Classic to the “State of Hockey” for years. After all, in America there’s no more of a place befitting of playing outdoor hockey than Minnesota and its 10,000 lakes (give or take a few myths).
Luckily for fans in Minnesota, Gary Bettman agrees with you.
Bettman told Michael Russo of the Star Tribune that he’d be crazy (his words!) to not get a Winter Classic done in Minnesota in the future. On the upside for Wild fans, they’ve got superstars to show off now in Dany Heatley, Devin Setoguchi and Mikko Koivu. The downside for the Wild is that they haven’t made the playoffs in years and they’re not exactly a marquee draw in the league, two factors that seem to matter most for the Winter Classic.
Of course, if there’s one thing that could help swing attention Minnesota’s way it’s the weather. Sounds crazy, right? After all, Minnesota is arctic cold in winter but after seeing rain play a big role in things in Pittsburgh, if Philadelphia runs into similar issues this season, the NHL could look into a locale where the winter weather won’t come into question in January. Minneapolis-St.Paul would pretty much guarantee that.
For now, the Wild better focus on winning and becoming fun to watch or develop a lot of intrigue if they want to get a Winter Classic sooner than later.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)