Oct 27, 2011, 1:41 PM EST
Wild fans have been yelling about getting a Winter Classic to the “State of Hockey” for years. After all, in America there’s no more of a place befitting of playing outdoor hockey than Minnesota and its 10,000 lakes (give or take a few myths).
Luckily for fans in Minnesota, Gary Bettman agrees with you.
Bettman told Michael Russo of the Star Tribune that he’d be crazy (his words!) to not get a Winter Classic done in Minnesota in the future. On the upside for Wild fans, they’ve got superstars to show off now in Dany Heatley, Devin Setoguchi and Mikko Koivu. The downside for the Wild is that they haven’t made the playoffs in years and they’re not exactly a marquee draw in the league, two factors that seem to matter most for the Winter Classic.
Of course, if there’s one thing that could help swing attention Minnesota’s way it’s the weather. Sounds crazy, right? After all, Minnesota is arctic cold in winter but after seeing rain play a big role in things in Pittsburgh, if Philadelphia runs into similar issues this season, the NHL could look into a locale where the winter weather won’t come into question in January. Minneapolis-St.Paul would pretty much guarantee that.
For now, the Wild better focus on winning and becoming fun to watch or develop a lot of intrigue if they want to get a Winter Classic sooner than later.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)