Oct 27, 2011, 1:41 PM EST
Wild fans have been yelling about getting a Winter Classic to the “State of Hockey” for years. After all, in America there’s no more of a place befitting of playing outdoor hockey than Minnesota and its 10,000 lakes (give or take a few myths).
Luckily for fans in Minnesota, Gary Bettman agrees with you.
Bettman told Michael Russo of the Star Tribune that he’d be crazy (his words!) to not get a Winter Classic done in Minnesota in the future. On the upside for Wild fans, they’ve got superstars to show off now in Dany Heatley, Devin Setoguchi and Mikko Koivu. The downside for the Wild is that they haven’t made the playoffs in years and they’re not exactly a marquee draw in the league, two factors that seem to matter most for the Winter Classic.
Of course, if there’s one thing that could help swing attention Minnesota’s way it’s the weather. Sounds crazy, right? After all, Minnesota is arctic cold in winter but after seeing rain play a big role in things in Pittsburgh, if Philadelphia runs into similar issues this season, the NHL could look into a locale where the winter weather won’t come into question in January. Minneapolis-St.Paul would pretty much guarantee that.
For now, the Wild better focus on winning and becoming fun to watch or develop a lot of intrigue if they want to get a Winter Classic sooner than later.
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 10
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 27
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)