Oct 26, 2011, 1:26 PM EDT
While the Alumni Game during Winter Classic weekend is just one of the other events, the announcement that Eric Lindros is trying to get the Legion Of Doom line back together with old pals John LeClair and Mikael Renberg has everyone feeling nostalgic all over again.
Adding that on top of the revelation from Pierre LeBrun that the LCB line from the Broad Street Bullies days with Bobby Clarke, Reggie Leach, and Bill Barber will suit up too, Philly fans will have plenty to go wild for.
It would be tremendous fun to see those lines back together after so long, but there is one former Ranger that would help make this event to be as much of a must-watch, or even more so than the Winter Classic itself.
The Great One hasn’t seen the lights of the NHL ever since he got out of the mess with the Phoenix Coyotes and while he’s told outlets in Canada recently that he hopes to someday make his return to business in the NHL, it’d make for one hell of a show to see 99 back on the ice with some of his old Rangers (and Oilers) teammates to take on the Flyers with the Legion Of Doom line that beat Gretzky in the 1997 Eastern Conference finals.
While the Rangers could have a host of other big name former players suiting up for them in Mark Messier, Brian Leetch, and Mike Richter to help make the alumni game a fun nostalgic romp, Gretzky’s presence would help it over the top.
Gretzky retired as a Ranger in 1999 and while he’s better known as an Oiler or a King, seeing him buzzing the ice once again in Ranger blue would be enough to make the Alumni Game must-see TV.
How about it 99? Give us one more time for fun’s sake and to show that the league you helped make great can properly welcome back its biggest star of all time.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 0
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 18
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 13
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 7
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)