Oct 26, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
I’d like to promise this is the last Roberto Luongo-related post we’ll do today, but I’m afraid I can’t do that. Not with back-up (but for how long?!) Cory Schneider getting the nod from Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault to start tonight’s game versus the Blues at Rogers Arena.
Schneider has been very good so far this season, posting a 2-1-0 record with a 1.67 goals-against average and .935 save percentage. The 25-year-old’s numbers stand in stark contrast to Luongo’s (2-3-1, 3.45, .868.)
Schneider isn’t just some journeyman either. He’s a first-round draft pick that would be the number one on half the teams in the NHL. In 2010-11, he started 22 games, posting a 16-4-2 record with a 2.23 GAA and .929 SV%.
In other words, we’re not talking about Brian Elliott outplaying Jaroslav Halak for a stretch, as has been the case in St. Louis so far this season. Nobody in that city is ripping Halak to pieces and ranting about Elliott giving the Blues their best chance to win come playoff time.
Last night in Edmonton — after Luongo was pulled in the second period with the Canucks down by three — Schneider came in and stopped all eight Oilers shots, none of his saves bigger than this one late in the third:
If that goes in, it’s game over. But Schneider gave his team a chance to score the tying goal. Maybe Luongo makes that save too, maybe he doesn’t. The only thing that matters is that he didn’t.
If Schneider shuts the door tonight and the Canucks get the win, look out.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)