Oct 26, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
I’d like to promise this is the last Roberto Luongo-related post we’ll do today, but I’m afraid I can’t do that. Not with back-up (but for how long?!) Cory Schneider getting the nod from Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault to start tonight’s game versus the Blues at Rogers Arena.
Schneider has been very good so far this season, posting a 2-1-0 record with a 1.67 goals-against average and .935 save percentage. The 25-year-old’s numbers stand in stark contrast to Luongo’s (2-3-1, 3.45, .868.)
Schneider isn’t just some journeyman either. He’s a first-round draft pick that would be the number one on half the teams in the NHL. In 2010-11, he started 22 games, posting a 16-4-2 record with a 2.23 GAA and .929 SV%.
In other words, we’re not talking about Brian Elliott outplaying Jaroslav Halak for a stretch, as has been the case in St. Louis so far this season. Nobody in that city is ripping Halak to pieces and ranting about Elliott giving the Blues their best chance to win come playoff time.
Last night in Edmonton — after Luongo was pulled in the second period with the Canucks down by three — Schneider came in and stopped all eight Oilers shots, none of his saves bigger than this one late in the third:
If that goes in, it’s game over. But Schneider gave his team a chance to score the tying goal. Maybe Luongo makes that save too, maybe he doesn’t. The only thing that matters is that he didn’t.
If Schneider shuts the door tonight and the Canucks get the win, look out.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 20
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 61
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)