Oct 26, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
As more and more NHL teams near the nine-game mark — nine games, of course, being the deadline when junior-age players can be sent back to their respective clubs — we’re starting to get a better sense of what this year’s rookie class will look like.
Earlier today, the Tampa Bay Lightning announced that Brett Connolly has made the team. Connolly, the first-ever selection by GM Steve Yzerman, posted just two assists in his first nine games, but is tied for the team lead with a plus-5 rating and is averaging 13:54 of ice time per game.
Shortly thereafter, Florida’s other team announced they’re also holding onto a prized prospect. The Miami Herald reported the Panthers will keep D Erik Gudbranson in the fold — he’s played in all eight of Florida’s games this year and GM Dale Tallon expects him to play No. 9 Thursday night in Ottawa.
Speaking of Ottawa, the Senators parted ways with Mika Zibanejad today. Zibanejad, the sixth pick of the 2011 Entry Draft, had just one assist in nine games, and was a minus-3. He’ll return to Djurgarden in Sweden, but this still leaves Ottawa with four rookie skaters: Jared Cowen, David Rundblad, Stephane Da Costa and Colin Greening.
Bang it here (to steal a phrase from Pro Football Talk) for PHT’s take on which rookies will stay and which will go.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)