Oct 26, 2011, 11:28 PM EST
Let’s face it, there are two ways to explain the Montreal Canadiens’ decision to fire assistant coach Perry Pearn.
1. The team wanted to appease their angry fans by parting ways with someone, even if that person’s name wasn’t “Gomez” or “Martin.”
2. GM Pierre Gauthier wasn’t happy with the power play, which was Pearn’s area of focus.
Naturally, that’s not how Gauthier & Co. explained things to the press, though. (At least not if you take the statement at face value.) Gauthier instead provided an answer that’s about as sensible as firing a staff member a few hours before game time.
“We’re going to function outside the box more than we have,” Gauthier said. “This is one move in that direction … Any time you face new challenges you need to look in the mirror, starting with myself. We’re not looking to place blame on anyone. But to do my job as the leader of this team I need to help people function better.”
Correct me if I’m wrong, but this doesn’t seem like functioning “outside the box,” aside from the very unusual practice of canning a coach moments before a contest starts. It instead follows the time-honored tradition of firing someone merely to make a statement to the rest of your workers. Call it the managerial equivalent to “kicking the dog” transference.
Maybe there’s more to this situation than meets the eye, but it’s an awfully ugly move from the outside.
A lot of times hockey fans overreact to the latest story (see: struggling goalies), but most – if not all – of the snarky responses to this decision have been justified. Gauthier can use all the fancy marketing buzzwords he wants, but let’s hope that his future decisions fit into the “fair and professional” box.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 7
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)