Oct 26, 2011, 7:48 PM EST
For at least three off-seasons, I campaigned heavily for Mike Modano to retire. He finally did so in 2011.
As adamant as I am that great players should be allowed to play as long as they want, it’s equally sad to watch them be reduced to shells of their former athletic selves. It’s a shame that newer hockey fans will be left with lesser Modano memories, but that’s just the way it is sometimes.
It’s weird to eat some crow after a player retires, but maybe most of us were wrong about Modano saving face upon retirement. One of the all-time legends of USA Hockey is spending his new-found free time by posting some real non sequiturs on his Twitter account, but this random picture of what he “might” wear for Halloween really takes the cake:
(photo via Mike Modano’s Twitter account, with the caption: “Halloween option..? LMFAO guy..”)
Um, OK then. Honestly, it’s all in good fun, although I cannot help but wonder who the “guy” is. I’m assuming it’s an example of a rhetorical use of the word “guy,” which is a little different from the editorial “we.”
Anyway, it could be worse, really. Modano could spend his post-hockey crisis as “The Ambassador of Fun” only to sign Sean Avery to horribly misguided contract. Instead he’s providing really weird, random entertainment for everyone on the Internet. When you really break it down, it’s actually something that we can all get behind.
His costume needs a little work, though.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 4
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 19
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)