Oct 26, 2011, 7:48 PM EDT
For at least three off-seasons, I campaigned heavily for Mike Modano to retire. He finally did so in 2011.
As adamant as I am that great players should be allowed to play as long as they want, it’s equally sad to watch them be reduced to shells of their former athletic selves. It’s a shame that newer hockey fans will be left with lesser Modano memories, but that’s just the way it is sometimes.
It’s weird to eat some crow after a player retires, but maybe most of us were wrong about Modano saving face upon retirement. One of the all-time legends of USA Hockey is spending his new-found free time by posting some real non sequiturs on his Twitter account, but this random picture of what he “might” wear for Halloween really takes the cake:
(photo via Mike Modano’s Twitter account, with the caption: “Halloween option..? LMFAO guy..”)
Um, OK then. Honestly, it’s all in good fun, although I cannot help but wonder who the “guy” is. I’m assuming it’s an example of a rhetorical use of the word “guy,” which is a little different from the editorial “we.”
Anyway, it could be worse, really. Modano could spend his post-hockey crisis as “The Ambassador of Fun” only to sign Sean Avery to horribly misguided contract. Instead he’s providing really weird, random entertainment for everyone on the Internet. When you really break it down, it’s actually something that we can all get behind.
His costume needs a little work, though.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 29
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 8
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (29)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)