Oct 26, 2011, 7:48 PM EDT
For at least three off-seasons, I campaigned heavily for Mike Modano to retire. He finally did so in 2011.
As adamant as I am that great players should be allowed to play as long as they want, it’s equally sad to watch them be reduced to shells of their former athletic selves. It’s a shame that newer hockey fans will be left with lesser Modano memories, but that’s just the way it is sometimes.
It’s weird to eat some crow after a player retires, but maybe most of us were wrong about Modano saving face upon retirement. One of the all-time legends of USA Hockey is spending his new-found free time by posting some real non sequiturs on his Twitter account, but this random picture of what he “might” wear for Halloween really takes the cake:
(photo via Mike Modano’s Twitter account, with the caption: “Halloween option..? LMFAO guy..”)
Um, OK then. Honestly, it’s all in good fun, although I cannot help but wonder who the “guy” is. I’m assuming it’s an example of a rhetorical use of the word “guy,” which is a little different from the editorial “we.”
Anyway, it could be worse, really. Modano could spend his post-hockey crisis as “The Ambassador of Fun” only to sign Sean Avery to horribly misguided contract. Instead he’s providing really weird, random entertainment for everyone on the Internet. When you really break it down, it’s actually something that we can all get behind.
His costume needs a little work, though.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 21
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)