Oct 26, 2011, 11:44 AM EDT
This just in from the NHL’s PR department. There’s going to be a “major announcement” tomorrow afternoon in Pittsburgh.
WHAT: NHL Special Event Press Conference and Media Availability
WHEN: Thursday, October 27 3:00 p.m. ET
WHERE: CONSOL Energy Center Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
WHO: NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman
Pittsburgh Penguins President David Morehouse
Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl
Pittsburgh Penguins General Manager Ray Shero
WHY: According to reports, the 2012 NHL draft will be held in Pittsburgh.
The last time the city hosted the draft was in 1997, when Joe Thornton went first overall to the Bruins. Other notables that were called to the stage at the Igloo were Patrick Marleau, Olli Jokinen, Roberto Luongo, Marian Hossa and Brenden Morrow.
The steal of the 1997 draft? With the 156th selection, the Sabres took defenseman Brian Campbell, after which absolutely nobody said, “I bet you someday he’ll sign a $56.8-million contract.”
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 6
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 24
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1