Oct 26, 2011, 11:44 AM EDT
This just in from the NHL’s PR department. There’s going to be a “major announcement” tomorrow afternoon in Pittsburgh.
WHAT: NHL Special Event Press Conference and Media Availability
WHEN: Thursday, October 27 3:00 p.m. ET
WHERE: CONSOL Energy Center Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
WHO: NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman
Pittsburgh Penguins President David Morehouse
Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl
Pittsburgh Penguins General Manager Ray Shero
WHY: According to reports, the 2012 NHL draft will be held in Pittsburgh.
The last time the city hosted the draft was in 1997, when Joe Thornton went first overall to the Bruins. Other notables that were called to the stage at the Igloo were Patrick Marleau, Olli Jokinen, Roberto Luongo, Marian Hossa and Brenden Morrow.
The steal of the 1997 draft? With the 156th selection, the Sabres took defenseman Brian Campbell, after which absolutely nobody said, “I bet you someday he’ll sign a $56.8-million contract.”
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22