Oct 26, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
Jacques Martin is having a rough go of it in Montreal lately. With the Canadiens having just one win so far this year and one of the worst records in the NHL, the call to have Martin fired from fans in Montreal has been growing louder to the point you can’t ignore the voice of the populous. With a battered defensive unit and a team that can’t score goals, things are bad in Montreal.
Well, you can ignore it if you’re Jacques Martin as he’s got better things to do like trying to figure out how to help his team string together some wins. How noble of him.
“I don’t listen to the radio or watch TV or read the newspapers,” Martin said Tuesday. “After 26, 27 years at this level, I’ve been through this before.
“To me it’s just every day getting better and making sure the team’s ready for (the next) game.”
He’s certainly been through this before in previous coaching stints in Ottawa and Florida. They say you’re not really an NHL coach until you get fired so in that respect, Martin is very well renowned as a coach. Until the wins come, the chatter will continue to burn through Montreal like a… You know what, you already have the punchline to that joke ready to fly, so just run with it.
With a game against Philly up next tonight as well as a home-and-home set with the hated Bruins, if things don’t get fixed fast, Martin might not make it to November.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 28
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)