Oct 26, 2011, 1:31 PM EST
Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia is reporting that Flyers D Chris Pronger will be wearing a visor when he returns from an eye injury — a decision that wasn’t made by Pronger, Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette or GM Paul Holmgren.
It was made by the doctor.
Stephen Goldman, the team ophthalmologist, told Pronger he would not give him medical clearance to play again without wearing the visor.
That settled things.
Pronger’s injury could have been much worse than merely a cut, blurred vision and swelling. He will miss at least two weeks (six or seven games) because of the injury.
On Tuesday afternoon, Holmgren said, “Chris Pronger was seen by Dr. Stephen Goldman today and is progressing very well.”
Panaccio also notes that Pronger is one of several Flyers that play without a shield — Jody Shelley, Matt Walker, Andreas Lilja, Wayne Simmonds and Max Talbot are the others — and that Laviolette wouldn’t attempt to make any of his players put one on.
As such, there’s a pretty interesting situation developing in Philly. Without reading too much into Dr. Goldman’s diagnosis, it would be fair to suggest the prevailing medical opinion is it’s safer to play hockey with eye protection than without. Yet the arguments against wearing visors — “it screws up my peripheral vision” and “it’s uncomfortable” and “I don’t want Don Cherry to mock me” — are still prevalent, especially in the Flyers dressing room.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)