Oct 26, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia is reporting that Flyers D Chris Pronger will be wearing a visor when he returns from an eye injury — a decision that wasn’t made by Pronger, Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette or GM Paul Holmgren.
It was made by the doctor.
Stephen Goldman, the team ophthalmologist, told Pronger he would not give him medical clearance to play again without wearing the visor.
That settled things.
Pronger’s injury could have been much worse than merely a cut, blurred vision and swelling. He will miss at least two weeks (six or seven games) because of the injury.
On Tuesday afternoon, Holmgren said, “Chris Pronger was seen by Dr. Stephen Goldman today and is progressing very well.”
Panaccio also notes that Pronger is one of several Flyers that play without a shield — Jody Shelley, Matt Walker, Andreas Lilja, Wayne Simmonds and Max Talbot are the others — and that Laviolette wouldn’t attempt to make any of his players put one on.
As such, there’s a pretty interesting situation developing in Philly. Without reading too much into Dr. Goldman’s diagnosis, it would be fair to suggest the prevailing medical opinion is it’s safer to play hockey with eye protection than without. Yet the arguments against wearing visors — “it screws up my peripheral vision” and “it’s uncomfortable” and “I don’t want Don Cherry to mock me” — are still prevalent, especially in the Flyers dressing room.
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 0
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 24
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 6
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)