Oct 26, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia is reporting that Flyers D Chris Pronger will be wearing a visor when he returns from an eye injury — a decision that wasn’t made by Pronger, Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette or GM Paul Holmgren.
It was made by the doctor.
Stephen Goldman, the team ophthalmologist, told Pronger he would not give him medical clearance to play again without wearing the visor.
That settled things.
Pronger’s injury could have been much worse than merely a cut, blurred vision and swelling. He will miss at least two weeks (six or seven games) because of the injury.
On Tuesday afternoon, Holmgren said, “Chris Pronger was seen by Dr. Stephen Goldman today and is progressing very well.”
Panaccio also notes that Pronger is one of several Flyers that play without a shield — Jody Shelley, Matt Walker, Andreas Lilja, Wayne Simmonds and Max Talbot are the others — and that Laviolette wouldn’t attempt to make any of his players put one on.
As such, there’s a pretty interesting situation developing in Philly. Without reading too much into Dr. Goldman’s diagnosis, it would be fair to suggest the prevailing medical opinion is it’s safer to play hockey with eye protection than without. Yet the arguments against wearing visors — “it screws up my peripheral vision” and “it’s uncomfortable” and “I don’t want Don Cherry to mock me” — are still prevalent, especially in the Flyers dressing room.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)