Oct 26, 2011, 6:51 PM EDT
With the Montreal Canadiens off to their worst start in 70 years, many figured it was only a matter of time before someone’s head rolled.
Not many figured it’d be the assistant coach’s head, though.
According to the Canadian Press, Montreal has relieved assistant coach Perry Pearn of his duties. The Habs announced the move just prior to tonight’s home date with the Philadelphia Flyers.
The first question many asked upon hearing the news is: Why Pearn? Why not Jacques Martin? The most likely answer is that Pearn was in charge of Montreal’s power play, the same lethargic unit that’s scored three times in 32 opportunities — 9.4 percent, second-worst in the NHL.
But to blame Pearn for the anemic man advantage is a joke. He’s been without his best offensive defenseman (Andrei Markov) and his top net-front option was Mathieu Darche. There was also something strange going on with Erik Cole, who was signed this summer to provide offense but averaged just 1:48 of ice time with the man advantage. (Of note, Martin got testy with a reporter the other day for asking about Cole’s lack of involvement on the PP.)
As for the timing of the move? Some real amateur hour stuff. The announcement came just 90 minutes before game time and to make matters worse, Pearn had been on the ice at the Canadiens’ skate in the morning. Fairly bizarre move by a traditionally classy organization.
Looking ahead, it’ll be really interesting to see how the Canadiens respond tonight. The Habs were already getting ripped for being winless at the Bell Center and didn’t seem to need any additional distractions.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)