Oct 26, 2011, 6:51 PM EDT
With the Montreal Canadiens off to their worst start in 70 years, many figured it was only a matter of time before someone’s head rolled.
Not many figured it’d be the assistant coach’s head, though.
According to the Canadian Press, Montreal has relieved assistant coach Perry Pearn of his duties. The Habs announced the move just prior to tonight’s home date with the Philadelphia Flyers.
The first question many asked upon hearing the news is: Why Pearn? Why not Jacques Martin? The most likely answer is that Pearn was in charge of Montreal’s power play, the same lethargic unit that’s scored three times in 32 opportunities — 9.4 percent, second-worst in the NHL.
But to blame Pearn for the anemic man advantage is a joke. He’s been without his best offensive defenseman (Andrei Markov) and his top net-front option was Mathieu Darche. There was also something strange going on with Erik Cole, who was signed this summer to provide offense but averaged just 1:48 of ice time with the man advantage. (Of note, Martin got testy with a reporter the other day for asking about Cole’s lack of involvement on the PP.)
As for the timing of the move? Some real amateur hour stuff. The announcement came just 90 minutes before game time and to make matters worse, Pearn had been on the ice at the Canadiens’ skate in the morning. Fairly bizarre move by a traditionally classy organization.
Looking ahead, it’ll be really interesting to see how the Canadiens respond tonight. The Habs were already getting ripped for being winless at the Bell Center and didn’t seem to need any additional distractions.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)