Oct 25, 2011, 6:59 PM EST
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Dion Phaneuf, Toronto Maple Leafs
Neon Dion’s taken his fair share of heat since being traded to the Leafs in early 2010. Some of it deserved, some of it overly harsh. Such is life in Toronto for big-money players.
Indeed, plenty was expected of the hard-hitting defenseman after he was acquired from Calgary by Leafs general manager Brian Burke
“[Phaneuf] is a warrior. He’s got a cannon for a shot,” Burke said at the time. “He plays the game hard and I want players who play the game hard because they’re hard to play against.”
And it wasn’t just a bruiser the Leafs had added. In 2007-08, Phaneuf racked up 60 points with the Flames and was a finalist for the Norris. He never reached those heights again in Calgary, but the potential was obviously there.
Unfortunately for Phaneuf, he failed to make an immediate impact with his new team. Or not enough of an impact anyway.
Last season, his first full one with the Leafs, he managed just eight goals and 22 assists in 66 games. This after he’d been named team captain the previous summer, further adding to the already-immense pressure.
But it’s been a different story so far this season. In Toronto’s first eight games, Phaneuf has two goals and seven assists and is being celebrated by the fans, media and his teammates.
“Since I’ve been here he’s been our best defenseman pretty much every night,” said Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul, as quoted by TSN.ca. “He’s been consistent, physical, he’s a guy the opposing team doesn’t like to play against and he’s got a big shot too.
“You’ve got be aware if you’re on the other team and he’s on the ice because it can be a rush, a shot or a big hit. I think he’s a guy that when he goes against the other team’s skill players they know every time he’s on the ice.”
It’s true — everyone knows when Phaneuf is out there.
Well, everyone except Stephan Da Costa.
Dion Phaneuf, everyone.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 5
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 5
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 20
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 10
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)