Oct 25, 2011, 9:13 PM EDT
Remember when Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said that Tuukka Rask was going to see more playing time this season? It only took a few weeks for that plan to jump off the rails. The Bruins have played eight games this season and thus far, Tim Thomas is looking like the true #1 goaltender that Claude Julien rode all the way to the Cup last season. So what’s the deal?
This afternoon, Chiarelli talked to the media on a conference call and addressed Tuukka Rask and his lack of playing time:
“In fairness to Tuukka, he probably should have gotten another start here or there, but you see Tim, how he’s playing, and you want him to recapture some of the stuff that he had last year… What I see and observe is we’ve had had discussions on the goaltender situation. I think in the end you’ll see it go into line with what he originally put out there.”
This is the problem that coaches deal with early in the year when they’re dedicated to playing both goaltenders. There’s no question that the Tuukka/Thomas combo is one of the best goaltending duos in the league. That’s the good news. The bad news is that Julien can only play one goaltender at a time. There are some people will constantly clamor for the head coach to ride the “hot hand.” Some will say that Rask needs to get into more games to stay sharp. Some will say that Rask needs to play more to keep Thomas fresh for the end of the season.
What do you think about the Bruins goaltending situation? Do you think the Bruins are doing the right thing by consistently throwing Thomas out on the ice as they try to get their season back on track? Or should Rask get more ice time to keep the rotation going for a team that has two good netminders?
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)