Oct 25, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
Coming into tonight’s game between Buffalo and Tampa Bay (7:30 p.m. ET on Versus) you might’ve thought you’d hear a lot about Steve Stamkos and Martin St. Louis lighting up the world offensively. Not so fast… It’s the Sabres that come into this game with the nice start (5-2-0) and a superstar of their own lighting up the world.
Thomas Vanek is tops on the Sabres in goals with six and is hanging around in the NHL top-ten in points as well. He’s one of the best paid guys in Buffalo, but he’s showing that it’s not going to waste by getting back to his scoresheet-filling ways. Vanek along with Jason Pominville and rookie Luke Adam have been making it look easy for Buffalo offensively speaking.
Oddly enough for Tampa Bay, the guy that comes into tonight’s game as their top scorer isn’t any one of Stamkos, St. Louis, or even Vincent Lecavalier. Instead it’s Marc-Andre Bergeron leading the charge there. Oh by the way, the Lightning have stumbled out of the gate. That’s not exactly a coincidence.
Not helping matters there has been the poor play of Dwayne Roloson in goal. Mathieu Garon has gotten the call the last couple games and Tampa has won their last two. Either way, having Garon or Roloson face off with Ryan Miller comes off as a really lopsided match-up.
Do the Sabres keep rolling along or has Tampa figured things out and stay hot? After seeing Tampa shutout the Sabres on Saturday night, Buffalo will be looking for payback at home tonight.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)