Oct 25, 2011, 11:14 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo faced 14 shots through 27 minutes against the Edmonton Oilers. After giving up three goals on four shots in the second period, Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault saw enough, ended the pain, and gave Luongo the hook.
For fans who were hoping that Luongo would bounce back to silence the naysayers, this isn’t exactly the type of performance they were looking to see against their Northwest rival. Then again, for fans in 29 other cities who love chaos, things couldn’t get any better in Vancouver. Luongo looks awful, Cory Schneider comes in to save the day, and Luongo’s contract remains just as awful as the day he signed it.
To recap for those just joining us: Luongo’s been bad all season. His goals against average puts him in the company of guys like Ty Conklin and Steve Mason — his save percentage looks more like an AHL goaltender. Both would be bad enough on their own, but the man behind him isn’t making life any easier for Luongo in Vancouver. While Luongo has struggled in the majority of his starts, back-up Cory Schneider has been putting up stats that put him among the league’s elite.
How much longer before the Canucks do something with Luongo? Is there any scenario where Schneider could become the starter in Vancouver? At this point, is there any team in the entire league that would take Luongo and his ridiculous contract?
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 20
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 61
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)