Oct 25, 2011, 11:14 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo faced 14 shots through 27 minutes against the Edmonton Oilers. After giving up three goals on four shots in the second period, Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault saw enough, ended the pain, and gave Luongo the hook.
For fans who were hoping that Luongo would bounce back to silence the naysayers, this isn’t exactly the type of performance they were looking to see against their Northwest rival. Then again, for fans in 29 other cities who love chaos, things couldn’t get any better in Vancouver. Luongo looks awful, Cory Schneider comes in to save the day, and Luongo’s contract remains just as awful as the day he signed it.
To recap for those just joining us: Luongo’s been bad all season. His goals against average puts him in the company of guys like Ty Conklin and Steve Mason — his save percentage looks more like an AHL goaltender. Both would be bad enough on their own, but the man behind him isn’t making life any easier for Luongo in Vancouver. While Luongo has struggled in the majority of his starts, back-up Cory Schneider has been putting up stats that put him among the league’s elite.
How much longer before the Canucks do something with Luongo? Is there any scenario where Schneider could become the starter in Vancouver? At this point, is there any team in the entire league that would take Luongo and his ridiculous contract?
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)