Oct 25, 2011, 11:14 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo faced 14 shots through 27 minutes against the Edmonton Oilers. After giving up three goals on four shots in the second period, Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault saw enough, ended the pain, and gave Luongo the hook.
For fans who were hoping that Luongo would bounce back to silence the naysayers, this isn’t exactly the type of performance they were looking to see against their Northwest rival. Then again, for fans in 29 other cities who love chaos, things couldn’t get any better in Vancouver. Luongo looks awful, Cory Schneider comes in to save the day, and Luongo’s contract remains just as awful as the day he signed it.
To recap for those just joining us: Luongo’s been bad all season. His goals against average puts him in the company of guys like Ty Conklin and Steve Mason — his save percentage looks more like an AHL goaltender. Both would be bad enough on their own, but the man behind him isn’t making life any easier for Luongo in Vancouver. While Luongo has struggled in the majority of his starts, back-up Cory Schneider has been putting up stats that put him among the league’s elite.
How much longer before the Canucks do something with Luongo? Is there any scenario where Schneider could become the starter in Vancouver? At this point, is there any team in the entire league that would take Luongo and his ridiculous contract?
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 31
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 54
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (54)