Oct 25, 2011, 11:14 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo faced 14 shots through 27 minutes against the Edmonton Oilers. After giving up three goals on four shots in the second period, Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault saw enough, ended the pain, and gave Luongo the hook.
For fans who were hoping that Luongo would bounce back to silence the naysayers, this isn’t exactly the type of performance they were looking to see against their Northwest rival. Then again, for fans in 29 other cities who love chaos, things couldn’t get any better in Vancouver. Luongo looks awful, Cory Schneider comes in to save the day, and Luongo’s contract remains just as awful as the day he signed it.
To recap for those just joining us: Luongo’s been bad all season. His goals against average puts him in the company of guys like Ty Conklin and Steve Mason — his save percentage looks more like an AHL goaltender. Both would be bad enough on their own, but the man behind him isn’t making life any easier for Luongo in Vancouver. While Luongo has struggled in the majority of his starts, back-up Cory Schneider has been putting up stats that put him among the league’s elite.
How much longer before the Canucks do something with Luongo? Is there any scenario where Schneider could become the starter in Vancouver? At this point, is there any team in the entire league that would take Luongo and his ridiculous contract?
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 0
- Video: Boston quickly erases Chicago’s late lead 5
- Video: Bruins, Hawks combine for five goals in 11 minutes during wild second period 5
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 62
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 24
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming