Oct 25, 2011, 11:14 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo faced 14 shots through 27 minutes against the Edmonton Oilers. After giving up three goals on four shots in the second period, Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault saw enough, ended the pain, and gave Luongo the hook.
For fans who were hoping that Luongo would bounce back to silence the naysayers, this isn’t exactly the type of performance they were looking to see against their Northwest rival. Then again, for fans in 29 other cities who love chaos, things couldn’t get any better in Vancouver. Luongo looks awful, Cory Schneider comes in to save the day, and Luongo’s contract remains just as awful as the day he signed it.
To recap for those just joining us: Luongo’s been bad all season. His goals against average puts him in the company of guys like Ty Conklin and Steve Mason — his save percentage looks more like an AHL goaltender. Both would be bad enough on their own, but the man behind him isn’t making life any easier for Luongo in Vancouver. While Luongo has struggled in the majority of his starts, back-up Cory Schneider has been putting up stats that put him among the league’s elite.
How much longer before the Canucks do something with Luongo? Is there any scenario where Schneider could become the starter in Vancouver? At this point, is there any team in the entire league that would take Luongo and his ridiculous contract?
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)