Oct 25, 2011, 2:15 PM EST
One of the best blogs in the business
not called ProHockeyTalk is the Washington Post’s Capitals Insider, authored by Katie Carrera and Tarik El-Bashir. They bring you anything and everything from the world of the Washington Capitals — and today was no exception.
Several Caps players brought their dogs to practice for a photo shoot with the Washington Animal Rescue League, and Caps Insider was all over it. Reports indicate Mike Green, Dennis Wideman and Nicklas Backstrom were just a few of the players that took part — Jeff Halpern took his puppy onto the ice, Michael Neuvirth walked his dog, Tractor, through the dressing room while Bruce Boudreau swatted Alex Semin with a rolled-up newspaper. (*Jokes*)
In non-canine related activity, Green missed his second straight practice today with a bum ankle. He injured the ankle during the first period of Saturday’s win over Detroit, but will travel to Vancouver and Edmonton with the team for their Western road swing.
And since we already mentioned Neuvirth (and his good buddy Tractor, a Shar-Pei) — Boudreau dropped a few hints that suggest he might get the start Thursday against the Oilers at Rexall Place. Neuvirth hasn’t played since the season opener, party due to a bruised foot and partly due to the fact Tomas Vokoun has been on fire.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 0
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 10
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 3
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 15
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 28