Oct 25, 2011, 3:43 PM EDT
If you’d like to acquire Calgary forward Rene Bourque, go ahead and call Flames GM Jay Feaster. He won’t hang up.
And if you’d like to acquire Matt Stajan, Feaster will fly you out first class, wine you, dine you, and tell you how pretty your eyes are.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports via Twitter that while Feaster isn’t “shopping” Bourque, he’s “willing to consider interest or offers on a number of players.”
We’ll go ahead and assume Bourque is one of those players.
We’ll guarantee Stajan is.
Dreger kicked the Bourque speculation into high gear last week when he suggested the three-time 20-goal scorer was in play, along with Carolina’s Tuomo Ruutu.
Bourque, 29, tallied 27 goals last season for the Flames. He also features a manageable $3.3-million cap hit on a contract that runs until 2015-16.
Feaster appears to be trying to clear the deck of non-essential future obligations in order to give the club more financial flexibility. If he can move Bourque, the Flames will have just six players signed past next season – Stajan, Alex Tanguay, Curtis Glencross, Jay Bouwmeester, Mark Giordano and Miikka Kiprusoff. (Jarome Iginla is set to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013.)
While sending Bourque packing might seem odd considering he’s only 29 and playing relatively well, he’s also one of the few Calgary assets with the potential to command a significant return on the market. And unlike Bouwmeester and Giordano, Bourque can’t say no to being moved. As part of his modified no-trade clause, he can give (and has given) a list of 10 teams the Flames cannot send him to. (Leaving 19 he can go to.)
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)