Oct 25, 2011, 9:51 PM EDT
After a historically bad start, the Columbus Blue Jackets were able to shoot the cannon enough times against the Red Wings to earn their first win of the season. You read that right. The Blue Jackets beat the Red Wings by a 4-1 score. If you saw that coming and live in Las Vegas, you could have paid your mortgage for the next year (Disclaimer: PHT does not condone “gaming” in any way).
Here are the facts: the Blue Jackets started the season 0-7-1. It was such a bad start that it sparked a heartfelt letter from Jackets’ GM Scott Howson. James Wisniewski returned from the Shanahammer imposed suspension to start the season, rookies started scoring, and Columbus beat the vaunted Detroit Red Wings (even if it was against Ty Conklin). Clearly, the Wiz is worth every cent of his ridiculous $33 million contract, right? Too soon?
The good news is that just about every player on the Jackets had the best game of their season. Ryan Johansen and John Moore scored the first goals of their promising careers; while Steve Mason figured out how to stop pucks on a consistent basis. Which brings us to the keys for the Blue Jackets over the next 73 games: find some consistent scoring and make sure Mason makes saves. It sounds easy, but it took them a few weeks to figure it out.
The win vaults the Blue Jackets into striking distance from the 14th seed in the Western Conference. Calgary Flames: you’re officially on notice.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 31
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 18
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 30
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 25
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 103
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (103)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement