Oct 25, 2011, 9:51 PM EDT
After a historically bad start, the Columbus Blue Jackets were able to shoot the cannon enough times against the Red Wings to earn their first win of the season. You read that right. The Blue Jackets beat the Red Wings by a 4-1 score. If you saw that coming and live in Las Vegas, you could have paid your mortgage for the next year (Disclaimer: PHT does not condone “gaming” in any way).
Here are the facts: the Blue Jackets started the season 0-7-1. It was such a bad start that it sparked a heartfelt letter from Jackets’ GM Scott Howson. James Wisniewski returned from the Shanahammer imposed suspension to start the season, rookies started scoring, and Columbus beat the vaunted Detroit Red Wings (even if it was against Ty Conklin). Clearly, the Wiz is worth every cent of his ridiculous $33 million contract, right? Too soon?
The good news is that just about every player on the Jackets had the best game of their season. Ryan Johansen and John Moore scored the first goals of their promising careers; while Steve Mason figured out how to stop pucks on a consistent basis. Which brings us to the keys for the Blue Jackets over the next 73 games: find some consistent scoring and make sure Mason makes saves. It sounds easy, but it took them a few weeks to figure it out.
The win vaults the Blue Jackets into striking distance from the 14th seed in the Western Conference. Calgary Flames: you’re officially on notice.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 10
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)