Oct 25, 2011, 9:51 PM EDT
After a historically bad start, the Columbus Blue Jackets were able to shoot the cannon enough times against the Red Wings to earn their first win of the season. You read that right. The Blue Jackets beat the Red Wings by a 4-1 score. If you saw that coming and live in Las Vegas, you could have paid your mortgage for the next year (Disclaimer: PHT does not condone “gaming” in any way).
Here are the facts: the Blue Jackets started the season 0-7-1. It was such a bad start that it sparked a heartfelt letter from Jackets’ GM Scott Howson. James Wisniewski returned from the Shanahammer imposed suspension to start the season, rookies started scoring, and Columbus beat the vaunted Detroit Red Wings (even if it was against Ty Conklin). Clearly, the Wiz is worth every cent of his ridiculous $33 million contract, right? Too soon?
The good news is that just about every player on the Jackets had the best game of their season. Ryan Johansen and John Moore scored the first goals of their promising careers; while Steve Mason figured out how to stop pucks on a consistent basis. Which brings us to the keys for the Blue Jackets over the next 73 games: find some consistent scoring and make sure Mason makes saves. It sounds easy, but it took them a few weeks to figure it out.
The win vaults the Blue Jackets into striking distance from the 14th seed in the Western Conference. Calgary Flames: you’re officially on notice.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 15
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)