Oct 25, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
James Wisniewski hasn’t been able to play for his new team in Columbus yet this season. Tonight, he’ll get his chance to finally, officially suit up as a Columbus Blue Jacket after serving an eight-game suspension.
Instead of re-joining the team under happy circumstances, he shows up on the scene with the team being winless and looking hopeless. After all, with how things went in Columbus’ last game, a gut-wrenching 4-3 loss to Ottawa, that’s about as close to rock bottom as a team can get this early in the year.
Wisniewski comes in with Rick Nash and Vaclav Prospal being the only two consistent scorers. On defense, Aaron Johnson is the guy leading the way for Columbus and when you hear things like that (no offense, Aaron) but that’s a really bad sign for a team. Wisniewski may not be a guy with an all-star résumé, but he’s the best they’ve got in Columbus and right now they desperately need him back.
Wisniewski’s feisty play and ability to spark his team’s offense give the Blue Jackets that hope for some life out of this down-in-the-dumps team. The Jackets need that edge added to the lineup, but they have to hope Wisniewski stays off of Brendan Shanahan’s radar the rest of the way. Who knows how harsh the punishment will be if goes afoul of the law again.
For now, the Jackets just want Wiz to be their semi-savior for now.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 13
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)