Oct 25, 2011, 7:46 PM EDT
Injured superstar defenseman Drew Doughty is set to see a team doctor tonight and the Kings expect him to travel with the team on their upcoming 3-game road trip. You may remember that he was injured in the first minute of play against the Philadelphia Flyers a week and a half ago when Zac Rinaldo lit him up with a clean, open-ice check. In keeping with tradition, the team announced it as an “upper body injury.” Since, there have been reports that say it was a slightly separated shoulder.
Doughty has been skating with the team over the last few days, but has not been cleared for contact yet. Tonight’s meeting with the team doctor will hopefully change that.
It’s not like the Kings have been hurting without Doughty in the lineup. After eventually winning beat the Flyers in overtime, the Kings were perfect on their recent three game homestand. By perfect, we mean more than just unbeaten. The team hasn’t given up a goal since that Flyers game as Jonathan Quick has dropped three straight shutouts.
Clearly, the key to the Kings success is getting that Doughty guy out of the lineup and replacing him with rookie Slava Voynov, right? Any way you cut it, the Kings have been one of the stronger team in the early going and they’re only going to get better when Doughty gets back into the lineup.
That sound you just heard was a groan from the other 14 teams in the Western Conference.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 0
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 41
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 12
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)