Oct 25, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro has been cleared to get injured again.
The hard-luck netminder will likely survive tonight’s game against the Penguins at Nassau Coliseum, as he’ll only be backing up Evgeni Nabokov. Although you never know. Pucks can fly into the bench pretty fast.
DiPietro has been out with a concussion since Oct. 12. In his absence, the Islanders (3-3-0) have been splitting goaltending duties between Nabokov and Al Montoya, with both performing well between the pipes.
DiPietro suffered his latest concussion in practice when a teammate fired a puck off his mask. The last time the 30-year-old appeared in a regular-season game was April 9 when he surrendered six goals in a 7-4 loss to the Flyers. His 2010-11 numbers were poor (3.44 GAA, .886 SV%).
So with three possible options in goal, who’s the official starter for the Islanders? The answer is still to be determined, according to coach Jack Capuano.
“Our goaltending right now is one of our strong points on our hockey team,” Capuano said today, as reported by the New York Post. “But is there a clear No. 1? No.”
It’ll be interesting to see how the Islanders handle the goaltending situation, because it’s more complicated than just figuring out who’s playing the best. There are salary-cap considerations as well.
If DiPietro were to be sent down to the AHL (as has been suggested in the past), that would mean his $4.5-million cap hit would come off the books, pushing the team under the cap floor.
It must be hard to be an Isles fan.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)