Oct 25, 2011, 12:45 PM EST
Florida Panthers goalie Jacob Markstrom was brilliant last night in Montreal. The 21-year-old rookie stopped 40 shots, helping his team to a 2-1 victory over the Canadiens.
Markstrom’s play was so stellar that PHT’s very own James O’Brien suggested Panthers coach Kevin Dineen might have a goaltending controversy on his hands.
Not so fast, says Dineen. Jose Theodore is still the number one in Florida.
“Theo’s our starter and a great player,” Dineen said, as reported by the Sun Sentinel. “He’s going to get back in there soon. Jacob not only earned that start but earned that victory.”
The Panthers (5-3-0) are one of the surprise teams of the NHL season. They’re getting good production from newcomers like Kris Versteeg, Brian Campbell and Tomas Fleischmann, and they’re playing hard for new coach Dineen.
Saves like these help as well.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 27
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 86
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (86)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)