Oct 25, 2011, 5:48 PM EST
The “Did You Know?” series ties in the news of the day with some little-known hockey factoids and/or trivia. It’ll be fun. Trust me.
Tonight in Buffalo, three former Hobey Baker Award winners will play in the same game — Sabres netminder Ryan Miller (who won in 2001), Sabres defenseman Jordan Leopold (2002) and Lightning defenseman Matt Gilroy (2009).
While this might not seem like such a momentous occasion, do keep in mind there are just nine Hobey Baker winners currently in the NHL: Miller, Leopold, Gilroy, Brendan Morrison, Mike Mottau, Matt Carle, Kevin Porter, Blake Geoffrion and Andy Miele.
Of the three playing tonight, it’s interesting to note how many future NHLers they suited up with in college. All three played for prominent programs — Miller was at Michigan State, Leopold at Minnesota and Gilroy at Boston University — so it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. Still, it’s cool to look back.
The Hobey Baker is definitely a curious award. For every winner that goes on to NHL success — Neal Broten, Paul Kariya, Chris Drury — there are those that fail to register even the slightest blip on the NHL radar, guys like Brian Bonin, Chris Marinucci and, most recently Marty Sertich.
Which makes it all the more curious when three former winners manage to appear in the same game.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)