Oct 25, 2011, 1:35 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have activated C Mike Fisher for tonight’s game against San Jose. (The Preds also activated D Francis Bouillon, who is not married to anyone famous.)
Fisher returns to the lineup after undergoing offseason shoulder surgery that cost him all of the preseason and Nashville’s first seven regular season games. Getting him back is big for the Preds — Fisher had 19 points in 39 games after coming over from Ottawa last season and helped lead the team to the first playoff series win in franchise history.
The trade also put him and wife Carrie Underwood in the same city, making them Tennessee’s hottest power couple since…Vince Gill and Amy Grant? Jeff Fisher and Jeff Fisher’s wife? That’s all I got.
As for what to expect this evening, Dirk Hoag at On The Forecheck suggests there could be a rust factor as Fisher hasn’t been practicing with the team. Whereas Bouillion traveled with the Predators on their recent Western Canada road swing, Fisher stayed behind in Nashville to work out and strengthen his shoulder.
“I’ve been skating since August and have been shooting,” Fisher told the Preds website. “Conditioning-wise, I feel ready and strong. I should be good to go … I just have to build confidence in it. I’ve been trying to do that in practice but it’s different than in a game. It will be good to get in there and see how it feels.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)