Oct 25, 2011, 8:38 PM EDT
It looks like GM Pierre Gauthier and the Montreal Canadiens have seen enough of the early season struggles and they’re already looking to turn things around. Pierre LeBrun is reporting on ESPN that the Habs, Tampa Bay Lightning, and New York Rangers are already calling around looking to make a trade for a defenseman. He goes on to say that the Toronto Maple Leafs are already dangling offseason acquisition Cody Franson to anyone willing to pay the price in a potential trade.
It shouldn’t really be a surprise that the Habs are looking for some help on the blueline. Honestly, they should be looking for help all over the ice. Andrei Markov is hurt again – because that’s what he does in October. Newcomer Chris Campoli was hurt on opening night against the Leafs and Jaroslav Spacek has been out in the early going as well. Needless to say, they could use a warm body that knows how to skate backwards.
The problem is that defense isn’t the only problem surrounding Montreal these days. A quick look at the standings tell us that they’re the worst team in the Eastern Conference, they’ve been awful on the power play, and they haven’t been much better at keeping the puck out of their own net. That’s where a defenseman or two would come into play.
Then again, Carey Price stopping a few pucks might help out in the standings as well.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 41
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)