Oct 25, 2011, 8:38 PM EST
It looks like GM Pierre Gauthier and the Montreal Canadiens have seen enough of the early season struggles and they’re already looking to turn things around. Pierre LeBrun is reporting on ESPN that the Habs, Tampa Bay Lightning, and New York Rangers are already calling around looking to make a trade for a defenseman. He goes on to say that the Toronto Maple Leafs are already dangling offseason acquisition Cody Franson to anyone willing to pay the price in a potential trade.
It shouldn’t really be a surprise that the Habs are looking for some help on the blueline. Honestly, they should be looking for help all over the ice. Andrei Markov is hurt again – because that’s what he does in October. Newcomer Chris Campoli was hurt on opening night against the Leafs and Jaroslav Spacek has been out in the early going as well. Needless to say, they could use a warm body that knows how to skate backwards.
The problem is that defense isn’t the only problem surrounding Montreal these days. A quick look at the standings tell us that they’re the worst team in the Eastern Conference, they’ve been awful on the power play, and they haven’t been much better at keeping the puck out of their own net. That’s where a defenseman or two would come into play.
Then again, Carey Price stopping a few pucks might help out in the standings as well.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 28
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)