Oct 25, 2011, 8:38 PM EDT
It looks like GM Pierre Gauthier and the Montreal Canadiens have seen enough of the early season struggles and they’re already looking to turn things around. Pierre LeBrun is reporting on ESPN that the Habs, Tampa Bay Lightning, and New York Rangers are already calling around looking to make a trade for a defenseman. He goes on to say that the Toronto Maple Leafs are already dangling offseason acquisition Cody Franson to anyone willing to pay the price in a potential trade.
It shouldn’t really be a surprise that the Habs are looking for some help on the blueline. Honestly, they should be looking for help all over the ice. Andrei Markov is hurt again – because that’s what he does in October. Newcomer Chris Campoli was hurt on opening night against the Leafs and Jaroslav Spacek has been out in the early going as well. Needless to say, they could use a warm body that knows how to skate backwards.
The problem is that defense isn’t the only problem surrounding Montreal these days. A quick look at the standings tell us that they’re the worst team in the Eastern Conference, they’ve been awful on the power play, and they haven’t been much better at keeping the puck out of their own net. That’s where a defenseman or two would come into play.
Then again, Carey Price stopping a few pucks might help out in the standings as well.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 59
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)