Oct 25, 2011, 8:38 PM EST
It looks like GM Pierre Gauthier and the Montreal Canadiens have seen enough of the early season struggles and they’re already looking to turn things around. Pierre LeBrun is reporting on ESPN that the Habs, Tampa Bay Lightning, and New York Rangers are already calling around looking to make a trade for a defenseman. He goes on to say that the Toronto Maple Leafs are already dangling offseason acquisition Cody Franson to anyone willing to pay the price in a potential trade.
It shouldn’t really be a surprise that the Habs are looking for some help on the blueline. Honestly, they should be looking for help all over the ice. Andrei Markov is hurt again – because that’s what he does in October. Newcomer Chris Campoli was hurt on opening night against the Leafs and Jaroslav Spacek has been out in the early going as well. Needless to say, they could use a warm body that knows how to skate backwards.
The problem is that defense isn’t the only problem surrounding Montreal these days. A quick look at the standings tell us that they’re the worst team in the Eastern Conference, they’ve been awful on the power play, and they haven’t been much better at keeping the puck out of their own net. That’s where a defenseman or two would come into play.
Then again, Carey Price stopping a few pucks might help out in the standings as well.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)