Oct 25, 2011, 8:38 PM EST
It looks like GM Pierre Gauthier and the Montreal Canadiens have seen enough of the early season struggles and they’re already looking to turn things around. Pierre LeBrun is reporting on ESPN that the Habs, Tampa Bay Lightning, and New York Rangers are already calling around looking to make a trade for a defenseman. He goes on to say that the Toronto Maple Leafs are already dangling offseason acquisition Cody Franson to anyone willing to pay the price in a potential trade.
It shouldn’t really be a surprise that the Habs are looking for some help on the blueline. Honestly, they should be looking for help all over the ice. Andrei Markov is hurt again – because that’s what he does in October. Newcomer Chris Campoli was hurt on opening night against the Leafs and Jaroslav Spacek has been out in the early going as well. Needless to say, they could use a warm body that knows how to skate backwards.
The problem is that defense isn’t the only problem surrounding Montreal these days. A quick look at the standings tell us that they’re the worst team in the Eastern Conference, they’ve been awful on the power play, and they haven’t been much better at keeping the puck out of their own net. That’s where a defenseman or two would come into play.
Then again, Carey Price stopping a few pucks might help out in the standings as well.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)