Oct 24, 2011, 7:19 PM EDT
Don’t get me wrong, it’s good…It just might be a little too lifelike.
On Tuesday, Washington Capitals star Alexander Ovechkin accomplished something that eluded the likes of Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr and Mario Lemieux during their playing careers.
He got himself a wax figure at Madame Tussauds.
On Monday, Madame Tussauds Washington unveiled Ovechkin in wax, its latest addition to the “Sports Stars” category (joining some fairly elite company in the process — Babe Ruth, Tiger Woods and Muhammad Ali.) Tussauds staff took 250 measurements and photographs of Ovechkin for the statue, and has been working since July to finish the project.
“Alex Ovechkin is a tremendous athlete who has captivated hockey fans not only in the Washington D.C. area, but across the nation as well,” said Madame Tussauds Washington D.C. general manager Dan Rogoski. “We are honored to add a figure of Alex to our roster of sports icons and know our guests will enjoy interacting and lining up alongside him for photos in our Sports Zone.”
It should be noted that only two NHL players have ever been made by Madame Tussauds — Ovechkin and Wayne Gretzky. I’ve never seen the Gretzky one, but there’s no way it could be more realistic. The only difference between Ovechkin and his wax replica is that one of them blinks.
Here’s the video of Ovi’s ceremony, complete with a rambling answer on what he’s dressing as for Halloween:
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 50
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 32
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 55
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 14
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 95
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 30
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings