Oct 24, 2011, 7:19 PM EDT
Don’t get me wrong, it’s good…It just might be a little too lifelike.
On Tuesday, Washington Capitals star Alexander Ovechkin accomplished something that eluded the likes of Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr and Mario Lemieux during their playing careers.
He got himself a wax figure at Madame Tussauds.
On Monday, Madame Tussauds Washington unveiled Ovechkin in wax, its latest addition to the “Sports Stars” category (joining some fairly elite company in the process — Babe Ruth, Tiger Woods and Muhammad Ali.) Tussauds staff took 250 measurements and photographs of Ovechkin for the statue, and has been working since July to finish the project.
“Alex Ovechkin is a tremendous athlete who has captivated hockey fans not only in the Washington D.C. area, but across the nation as well,” said Madame Tussauds Washington D.C. general manager Dan Rogoski. “We are honored to add a figure of Alex to our roster of sports icons and know our guests will enjoy interacting and lining up alongside him for photos in our Sports Zone.”
It should be noted that only two NHL players have ever been made by Madame Tussauds — Ovechkin and Wayne Gretzky. I’ve never seen the Gretzky one, but there’s no way it could be more realistic. The only difference between Ovechkin and his wax replica is that one of them blinks.
Here’s the video of Ovi’s ceremony, complete with a rambling answer on what he’s dressing as for Halloween:
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)