Oct 24, 2011, 7:19 PM EDT
Don’t get me wrong, it’s good…It just might be a little too lifelike.
On Tuesday, Washington Capitals star Alexander Ovechkin accomplished something that eluded the likes of Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr and Mario Lemieux during their playing careers.
He got himself a wax figure at Madame Tussauds.
On Monday, Madame Tussauds Washington unveiled Ovechkin in wax, its latest addition to the “Sports Stars” category (joining some fairly elite company in the process — Babe Ruth, Tiger Woods and Muhammad Ali.) Tussauds staff took 250 measurements and photographs of Ovechkin for the statue, and has been working since July to finish the project.
“Alex Ovechkin is a tremendous athlete who has captivated hockey fans not only in the Washington D.C. area, but across the nation as well,” said Madame Tussauds Washington D.C. general manager Dan Rogoski. “We are honored to add a figure of Alex to our roster of sports icons and know our guests will enjoy interacting and lining up alongside him for photos in our Sports Zone.”
It should be noted that only two NHL players have ever been made by Madame Tussauds — Ovechkin and Wayne Gretzky. I’ve never seen the Gretzky one, but there’s no way it could be more realistic. The only difference between Ovechkin and his wax replica is that one of them blinks.
Here’s the video of Ovi’s ceremony, complete with a rambling answer on what he’s dressing as for Halloween:
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 0
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 25
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)