Oct 24, 2011, 7:19 PM EDT
Don’t get me wrong, it’s good…It just might be a little too lifelike.
On Tuesday, Washington Capitals star Alexander Ovechkin accomplished something that eluded the likes of Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr and Mario Lemieux during their playing careers.
He got himself a wax figure at Madame Tussauds.
On Monday, Madame Tussauds Washington unveiled Ovechkin in wax, its latest addition to the “Sports Stars” category (joining some fairly elite company in the process — Babe Ruth, Tiger Woods and Muhammad Ali.) Tussauds staff took 250 measurements and photographs of Ovechkin for the statue, and has been working since July to finish the project.
“Alex Ovechkin is a tremendous athlete who has captivated hockey fans not only in the Washington D.C. area, but across the nation as well,” said Madame Tussauds Washington D.C. general manager Dan Rogoski. “We are honored to add a figure of Alex to our roster of sports icons and know our guests will enjoy interacting and lining up alongside him for photos in our Sports Zone.”
It should be noted that only two NHL players have ever been made by Madame Tussauds — Ovechkin and Wayne Gretzky. I’ve never seen the Gretzky one, but there’s no way it could be more realistic. The only difference between Ovechkin and his wax replica is that one of them blinks.
Here’s the video of Ovi’s ceremony, complete with a rambling answer on what he’s dressing as for Halloween:
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)