Oct 24, 2011, 7:19 PM EST
Don’t get me wrong, it’s good…It just might be a little too lifelike.
On Tuesday, Washington Capitals star Alexander Ovechkin accomplished something that eluded the likes of Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr and Mario Lemieux during their playing careers.
He got himself a wax figure at Madame Tussauds.
On Monday, Madame Tussauds Washington unveiled Ovechkin in wax, its latest addition to the “Sports Stars” category (joining some fairly elite company in the process — Babe Ruth, Tiger Woods and Muhammad Ali.) Tussauds staff took 250 measurements and photographs of Ovechkin for the statue, and has been working since July to finish the project.
“Alex Ovechkin is a tremendous athlete who has captivated hockey fans not only in the Washington D.C. area, but across the nation as well,” said Madame Tussauds Washington D.C. general manager Dan Rogoski. “We are honored to add a figure of Alex to our roster of sports icons and know our guests will enjoy interacting and lining up alongside him for photos in our Sports Zone.”
It should be noted that only two NHL players have ever been made by Madame Tussauds — Ovechkin and Wayne Gretzky. I’ve never seen the Gretzky one, but there’s no way it could be more realistic. The only difference between Ovechkin and his wax replica is that one of them blinks.
Here’s the video of Ovi’s ceremony, complete with a rambling answer on what he’s dressing as for Halloween:
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5