Oct 24, 2011, 7:59 PM EDT
In a haunting moment, Chris Pronger left the ice immediately after getting caught with Mikhail Grabovski‘s high stick tonight. The Philadelphia Flyers defenseman clearly screamed after the stick caught him somewhere in the face, which was especially scary considering how tough Pronger is.
Some might throw around the word “karma” around, but the rest of us will hope that Pronger didn’t take that stick to one of his eyes. Flyers fans were angry that Grabovski didn’t receive a penalty on the play, but it happened on the follow-through on a puck, which explains why there was no call.
The Flyers were magnets for errant Toronto Maple Leafs’ sticks in the first period. The game started with Claude Giroux receiving the business end of a stick while former Flyers player Joffrey Lupul received a double-minor for opening up Matt Read‘s face with another high stick later on in the opening frame.
We’ll keep an eye on Pronger’s situation, which hopefully won’t end up being an eye injury. Update: TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Pronger is seeing an eye specialist, but no other details have emerged.
It might be tough to watch, but here’s footage of that gruesome moment. The Flyers haven’t given a concrete update about the situation, only stating that he won’t return to the game.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 24
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 41
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 100
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (100)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)