Oct 24, 2011, 10:21 AM EDT
It’s a light Monday night for NHL action but tonight’s most intriguing match-up very well might be between the Florida Panthers and Montreal Canadiens.
Yes, seriously and it’s all thanks to a soap opera-level of drama surrounding both teams. The Panthers made a stunning trade on Saturday afternoon that sent a young cornerstone player out of town and two potentially over-the-hill veterans in to “win now” as Panthers president Michael Yormark put it.
Then you’ve got the Montreal Canadiens who are off to a miserable start this season and coach Jacques Martin is squarely at the center of all discussion and it’s exclusively negative. From the talk of him being on the hot seat to the open complaints about his choice to put Mathieu Darche on the power play over newly acquired Erik Cole, the Habs are in desperate need of a win at home tonight or else Jacques Martin might not make it through tomorrow with his job.
The Canadiens could use a standout game from Carey Price to help keep the wolves away from the door. While the Habs have three starting defensemen out with injuries, a highlight reel game from Price would give them both the confidence boost they’re looking for. It would also give the Habs their first win at home this year.
Panthers… Canadiens… Monday night! Can you smell the intrigue? It’s actually there this time.
Update (12:03 p.m.): Mikael Samuelsson’s Panthers re-debut will have to wait, he’s still in Vancouver getting worked out.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)