Oct 24, 2011, 10:21 AM EDT
It’s a light Monday night for NHL action but tonight’s most intriguing match-up very well might be between the Florida Panthers and Montreal Canadiens.
Yes, seriously and it’s all thanks to a soap opera-level of drama surrounding both teams. The Panthers made a stunning trade on Saturday afternoon that sent a young cornerstone player out of town and two potentially over-the-hill veterans in to “win now” as Panthers president Michael Yormark put it.
Then you’ve got the Montreal Canadiens who are off to a miserable start this season and coach Jacques Martin is squarely at the center of all discussion and it’s exclusively negative. From the talk of him being on the hot seat to the open complaints about his choice to put Mathieu Darche on the power play over newly acquired Erik Cole, the Habs are in desperate need of a win at home tonight or else Jacques Martin might not make it through tomorrow with his job.
The Canadiens could use a standout game from Carey Price to help keep the wolves away from the door. While the Habs have three starting defensemen out with injuries, a highlight reel game from Price would give them both the confidence boost they’re looking for. It would also give the Habs their first win at home this year.
Panthers… Canadiens… Monday night! Can you smell the intrigue? It’s actually there this time.
Update (12:03 p.m.): Mikael Samuelsson’s Panthers re-debut will have to wait, he’s still in Vancouver getting worked out.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 8
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 40
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)