Oct 24, 2011, 11:28 PM EDT
It wasn’t always pretty, but the New York Rangers ended their well-traveled seven game road trip with a 2-1 win over the Winnipeg Jets tonight. They’ll have a chance to rest up at home now, with six games in a row at Madison Square Garden starting Thursday.
Historically speaking, the Rangers are used to being displaced from MSG for long periods of time. The circus (and the circus that can often be the New York Knicks) ranks as one of the attractions that can disrupt the hockey – or at least leave a funky smell at the rink.
This time around, alterations to the arena itself kept them on an extended road trip to start the season. Here’s a look at how their first seven games played out.
Oct. 7 and Oct. 8: back-to-back games in Stockholm, Sweden (against the Kings and Ducks)
Oct. 15: at Islanders
Oct. 18: at Canucks
Oct. 20: at Flames
Oct. 22: at Oilers
Oct. 24: at Jets
The Rangers basically traveled to Sweden, Long Island and then Western Canada (plus Winnipeg) to start the 2011-12 season. They finished a passable 3-2-2 for eight points in seven games, placing them third in the Atlantic Division (with both the Devils and Islanders right behind them) at this moment.
Sure, they might have “sucked from head to toe” a couple times along the way, but the Rangers stayed afloat and now find themselves with a big opportunity. We’ll see if they can take advantage starting on Thursday.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 25
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 27
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 33
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)