Oct 24, 2011, 11:28 PM EST
It wasn’t always pretty, but the New York Rangers ended their well-traveled seven game road trip with a 2-1 win over the Winnipeg Jets tonight. They’ll have a chance to rest up at home now, with six games in a row at Madison Square Garden starting Thursday.
Historically speaking, the Rangers are used to being displaced from MSG for long periods of time. The circus (and the circus that can often be the New York Knicks) ranks as one of the attractions that can disrupt the hockey – or at least leave a funky smell at the rink.
This time around, alterations to the arena itself kept them on an extended road trip to start the season. Here’s a look at how their first seven games played out.
Oct. 7 and Oct. 8: back-to-back games in Stockholm, Sweden (against the Kings and Ducks)
Oct. 15: at Islanders
Oct. 18: at Canucks
Oct. 20: at Flames
Oct. 22: at Oilers
Oct. 24: at Jets
The Rangers basically traveled to Sweden, Long Island and then Western Canada (plus Winnipeg) to start the 2011-12 season. They finished a passable 3-2-2 for eight points in seven games, placing them third in the Atlantic Division (with both the Devils and Islanders right behind them) at this moment.
Sure, they might have “sucked from head to toe” a couple times along the way, but the Rangers stayed afloat and now find themselves with a big opportunity. We’ll see if they can take advantage starting on Thursday.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)