Oct 24, 2011, 2:23 PM EST
Since we’re totally late to the party on this one, I won’t get into the actual story of how Justin Bieber and girlfriend Selena Gomez were at the MTS Center Saturday night to watch Winnipeg’s 5-3 win over the Carolina Hurricanes.
Nor am I going to discuss how both had personalized jerseys and took to the ice afterward for some stick-n-puck action.
No, instead I’m going to focus on this piece from the Winnipeg Free Press’ breaking news section. It details “Bieber Day in Winnipeg” with the kind of investigative work normally reserved for political scandals and/or royal weddings:
WINNIPEG — Justin Bieber has treated girlfriend Selena Gomez to just about the full Winnipeg.
The Jets, check. Tim Hortons, check. The Forks, check. And while they seem to have missed at least most of the Bombers game, it was so they could have a candlelit dinner on the Nonsuch at the Manitoba Museum.
The teen stars were spotted at the Jets game and tied up their skates to hit the MTS Centre ice surface afterwards, where Texas-born Gomez didn’t look quite as comfortable on skates as her Canuck squeeze.
The romantic dinner on the Nonsuch tonight was catered by The Fairmont. They had the Manitoba Museum to themselves and had fun touring the place, a source said.
The candlelit dinner for two on the life-size, 25-metre replica of a 17th-century sailing ship must have been one of the highlights of their three-day date in Winnipeg.
Gomez was here to perform a concert at the MTS Centre on Friday night.
The Bieb also stopped at the Booster Juice outlet at 584 Pembina Highway at 3:30 p.m.
“My staff asked him what he was doing in town, to which he replied, ‘I’m here for my girlfriend,’ ” said owner Graham Taylor. “They asked if he would pose for a picture, and Bieber said, ‘Yeah, but can I get my smoothie first?’ “
On Friday afternoon, Bieber and Gomez took in a few races at Speedworld Indoor Kart Track after renting the track for an hour. They’ve also been spotted strolling at The Forks and in the lineup at Tim Hortons.
You might think the big winner of all this free publicity was the Jets, but you’d be wrong. It’s actually the Booster Juice outlet at 584 Pembina Highway.
Also, I love that the paper has a ‘source’ at the Manitoba Museum. Bet they’re getting all kinds of hot scoops from that one. “Our source also leaked that Ancient Seas exhibition is quite breathtaking.”
In closing, it’s great that hockey fans still get excited when celebrities attend NHL games. This isn’t as big a deal for other sports — there are like 15 A-listers at every Lakers game — but hockey just seems to gobble it up. Remember when the Jersey Shore girls showed up at a Kings game? There was like a lineup of reporters waiting to do interviews, even though they could’ve found three equally orange girls pretty much anywhere.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 16
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)