Oct 24, 2011, 8:29 AM EDT
With James Reimer being out of tonight’s Leafs game against the Flyers with “whiplash-like symptoms” (hey, whatever…), Jonas Gustavsson gets the start in goal for Toronto. While Gustavsson came to Toronto with heaps of hype two years ago, it’s been as close to a disaster as it can be for him ever since.
His numbers are poor and they’ve been getting steadily worse. He had heart issues that prevented him from getting crucial starts to help him settle into the NHL and now that he is healthy, he’s a mediocre goalie. Fire up the worry machine in Toronto as well as the candlelight vigils for Reimer to get better soon. As coach Ron Wilson told James Mirtle of The Globe And Mail, Gustavsson getting a win in relief against Montreal might be the thing to help him settle in this time around.
Don’t expect Wilson’s words to settle down Leafs Nation, however.
Reimer is the key for how the Leafs season will go, but having a competent backup when things go slightly awry is important too. If Gustavsson can play like “The Monster” he was hailed as when he was signed and stuffs the Flyers tonight, perhaps heads can rest a little easier in Toronto. If he goes back to giving up goals on very stoppable shots, expect to hear the calls for Ben Scrivens or Jussi Rynnas to get a shot to be the backup to grow.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)