Oct 24, 2011, 10:32 PM EDT
It was pretty clear that Jose Theodore was expected to be a stopgap solution in net when the Florida Panthers handed him a two-year contract this summer. He was supposed to gradually hand the torch to “goalie of the future” Jacob Markstrom, but the team’s hot prospect is making a serious case to be their goalie of the present.
Markstrom raised some eyebrows in his first win by stopping all 18 of the New York Islanders’ shots in a busy third period on Saturday, but he was even better in a full game of action tonight. The big goalie made 40 out of 41 saves (including 14 in the third period) to lead the Panthers past the Montreal Canadiens 2-1 on Monday.
In three appearances so far, Markstrom has been dominant, stopping 87 out of the 90 shots he faced. He lost despite a great effort against the Washington Capitals in his first game but has been lights out since Theodore left with an injury in that contest versus the Islanders.
Now new Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen might just have a goalie controversy on his hands. Then again, considering what he started this season with, it might be a good problem to have.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)