Oct 24, 2011, 10:32 PM EDT
It was pretty clear that Jose Theodore was expected to be a stopgap solution in net when the Florida Panthers handed him a two-year contract this summer. He was supposed to gradually hand the torch to “goalie of the future” Jacob Markstrom, but the team’s hot prospect is making a serious case to be their goalie of the present.
Markstrom raised some eyebrows in his first win by stopping all 18 of the New York Islanders’ shots in a busy third period on Saturday, but he was even better in a full game of action tonight. The big goalie made 40 out of 41 saves (including 14 in the third period) to lead the Panthers past the Montreal Canadiens 2-1 on Monday.
In three appearances so far, Markstrom has been dominant, stopping 87 out of the 90 shots he faced. He lost despite a great effort against the Washington Capitals in his first game but has been lights out since Theodore left with an injury in that contest versus the Islanders.
Now new Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen might just have a goalie controversy on his hands. Then again, considering what he started this season with, it might be a good problem to have.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 13
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)