Oct 24, 2011, 10:32 PM EDT
It was pretty clear that Jose Theodore was expected to be a stopgap solution in net when the Florida Panthers handed him a two-year contract this summer. He was supposed to gradually hand the torch to “goalie of the future” Jacob Markstrom, but the team’s hot prospect is making a serious case to be their goalie of the present.
Markstrom raised some eyebrows in his first win by stopping all 18 of the New York Islanders’ shots in a busy third period on Saturday, but he was even better in a full game of action tonight. The big goalie made 40 out of 41 saves (including 14 in the third period) to lead the Panthers past the Montreal Canadiens 2-1 on Monday.
In three appearances so far, Markstrom has been dominant, stopping 87 out of the 90 shots he faced. He lost despite a great effort against the Washington Capitals in his first game but has been lights out since Theodore left with an injury in that contest versus the Islanders.
Now new Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen might just have a goalie controversy on his hands. Then again, considering what he started this season with, it might be a good problem to have.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 11
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 28
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)