Oct 24, 2011, 10:32 PM EDT
It was pretty clear that Jose Theodore was expected to be a stopgap solution in net when the Florida Panthers handed him a two-year contract this summer. He was supposed to gradually hand the torch to “goalie of the future” Jacob Markstrom, but the team’s hot prospect is making a serious case to be their goalie of the present.
Markstrom raised some eyebrows in his first win by stopping all 18 of the New York Islanders’ shots in a busy third period on Saturday, but he was even better in a full game of action tonight. The big goalie made 40 out of 41 saves (including 14 in the third period) to lead the Panthers past the Montreal Canadiens 2-1 on Monday.
In three appearances so far, Markstrom has been dominant, stopping 87 out of the 90 shots he faced. He lost despite a great effort against the Washington Capitals in his first game but has been lights out since Theodore left with an injury in that contest versus the Islanders.
Now new Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen might just have a goalie controversy on his hands. Then again, considering what he started this season with, it might be a good problem to have.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (44)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)