Oct 24, 2011, 12:12 PM EST
After becoming the first Kings goalie to ever post three consecutive shutouts, Jonathan Quick has been named the NHL’s first star of the week.
Over the weekend, PHT’s very own Joe Yerdon posed the question: Is Quick now the best goalie in the NHL? After Boston Bruins fans pelted him with obscenities and Tim Thomas bobbleheads, we were inclined to say no. But it’s hard to ignore the fact that, statistically speaking, Quick is the league’s top netminder.
Put it this way: the NHL’s third star of the week, Washington’s Tomas Vokoun, is off to a flying start with a goals-against average of 1.80. Quick’s GAA is almost a full goal less than that.
Or, put it this way: Dallas’ Kari Lehtonen is on fire right now with a .957 save percentage. Quick’s is fifteen points higher than that.
Quick also represents 22 percent of the shutouts posted in the NHL this year. Crazy.
The second star of the week went to Ottawa’s Jason Spezza. The Senators center had 3G-4A in three games and figured in seven of his team’s 10 goals. Spezza’s honor was a noteworthy achievement for an Ottawa team that’s had very few of them this season. As you can see, he was pretty happy with how last week went:
As mentioned, third star went to Vokoun. He helped the Capitals extend their franchise-record start to 7-0-0 by posting three consecutive victories with a 1.00 goals-against average, .968 save percentage and one shutout. Remember when Bruce Boudreau started Michal Neuvirth in the season opener and everybody thought there’d be a goaltending controversy? Yeah, us neither.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 61
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)