Oct 24, 2011, 12:12 PM EST
After becoming the first Kings goalie to ever post three consecutive shutouts, Jonathan Quick has been named the NHL’s first star of the week.
Over the weekend, PHT’s very own Joe Yerdon posed the question: Is Quick now the best goalie in the NHL? After Boston Bruins fans pelted him with obscenities and Tim Thomas bobbleheads, we were inclined to say no. But it’s hard to ignore the fact that, statistically speaking, Quick is the league’s top netminder.
Put it this way: the NHL’s third star of the week, Washington’s Tomas Vokoun, is off to a flying start with a goals-against average of 1.80. Quick’s GAA is almost a full goal less than that.
Or, put it this way: Dallas’ Kari Lehtonen is on fire right now with a .957 save percentage. Quick’s is fifteen points higher than that.
Quick also represents 22 percent of the shutouts posted in the NHL this year. Crazy.
The second star of the week went to Ottawa’s Jason Spezza. The Senators center had 3G-4A in three games and figured in seven of his team’s 10 goals. Spezza’s honor was a noteworthy achievement for an Ottawa team that’s had very few of them this season. As you can see, he was pretty happy with how last week went:
As mentioned, third star went to Vokoun. He helped the Capitals extend their franchise-record start to 7-0-0 by posting three consecutive victories with a 1.00 goals-against average, .968 save percentage and one shutout. Remember when Bruce Boudreau started Michal Neuvirth in the season opener and everybody thought there’d be a goaltending controversy? Yeah, us neither.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)