Oct 24, 2011, 8:26 PM EDT
For one breathtaking moment, a stunned Philadelphia crowd was allowed to forget about Chris Pronger‘s health. Some were transported to the 2008 playoffs (when he scored his most recent NHL goal) while many more traveled to his dominant run in the ’90s.
Either way, Jaromir Jagr scored about as gorgeous a first Flyers goal as you could ask for tonight. He cashed in on a breakaway goal that reminded nostalgic types of the days when he dominated the NHL in a Pittsburgh Penguins jersey (while donning that infamous mullet). Some might find cruel coincidence that it came as a result of a high-sticking penalty, but it was a beautiful moment on an ugly night nonetheless.
Sure, it took him eight games, but the 39-year-old winger deserves a salute for that highlight reel effort.
Update: Jagr finished the night with a second breakaway goal and added an assist, as the Flyers beat the Leafs 4-2.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)