Oct 24, 2011, 8:26 PM EST
For one breathtaking moment, a stunned Philadelphia crowd was allowed to forget about Chris Pronger‘s health. Some were transported to the 2008 playoffs (when he scored his most recent NHL goal) while many more traveled to his dominant run in the ’90s.
Either way, Jaromir Jagr scored about as gorgeous a first Flyers goal as you could ask for tonight. He cashed in on a breakaway goal that reminded nostalgic types of the days when he dominated the NHL in a Pittsburgh Penguins jersey (while donning that infamous mullet). Some might find cruel coincidence that it came as a result of a high-sticking penalty, but it was a beautiful moment on an ugly night nonetheless.
Sure, it took him eight games, but the 39-year-old winger deserves a salute for that highlight reel effort.
Update: Jagr finished the night with a second breakaway goal and added an assist, as the Flyers beat the Leafs 4-2.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)